Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!


I walked out of Alise's school this morning and took a long, much needed exhale.

Breathe, Laura. Just breathe.

The kids were SO excited about Valentine's Day that I swore they all must have eaten a heart full of chocolate with their poptarts and cereal a few hours earlier, because I was definitely feeling the full effect of it when I helped Alise carry in all her goody bags and Valentines!

So from school, I drove to Walmart. On Valentine's Day. At 8:00 in the morning. I'm there with all the other procrastinators in the city that haven't taken the time to do their Valentine business before the day of. And those that leave their shopping carts in the middle of the aisles while they read the tacky leftover Valentine Day cards because they snoozed to loose.

Am I sounding very "Valentine-y" at this point?

So let me explain. I was only in Walmart to buy a Justin Bieber CD. It was suppose to be Alise's VDay present. I had looked for one at Target last week and they didn't have any, so I went to Walmart today. Did you know they even have Justin Bieber birthday party supplies? Good grief {another post}. And I picked up some new desk supplies for my 'woman cave' that I've been wanting. The actual self-check out lanes were full! I had to wait 15 mintues just to self-check out!

Sounds like I need to CHECK-IN!!

If you recall, on National Popcorn Day, I posted about this great recipe. Now, it wasn't 'great' because I had tried it before, just 'great' that it looked 'great' with all the packaging and stuff. But I really, really, really wanted to try it because I love M&Ms and popcorn together.

Leigh decided she was going to make some, too, and texted me early Saturday morning that she was out looking for white popcorn.

White popcorn? WTHeck? We both started thinking that we might need to pop the corn the old fashion way. For those of you younger than 30, that would mean on a hot stove with some oil. My moma use to make it like that once a year when "The Wizard of Oz" would come on the TV. A TV with a dial. And a green avacado stove. Get my point?

Whell, by Sunday afternoon, I realized I needed more gravy for the smothered steak in the ol' crockpot AND another bag of M&Ms because we had already eaten half the bag, so off Alise and I go to the store for gravy {another post}, VDay M&Ms, and white popcorn. We leave the store with gravy, natural popcorn, three boxes of conversation hearts, a get well card, a gallon of tea, and a balloon.

White popcorn is so overrated!

So this, peeps, is MY version of VDay confetti!And let me just say that it is not your average popcorn & M&Ms. This stuff is SO addictive and so yummy, that I could even eat it without the M&Ms!! I made it for Alise's teachers and I made another batch for work tomorrow! Yum, yum, yum!

Alise wanted no part in taking pictures today. She acted so goofy with her friends. I attended the Mothers' Valentine Day Luncheon at her school and she wanted me to stay for her party, but I couldn't. I think it was the first party I've missed since Alise started school nearly three years ago.




I had to get a picture of all the girls in their red and pink. I loved all the red and white polka dots and one of Alise's friends was wearing a red and white mini skirt with hearts on it that I just loved. It's been a while since I've wanted to say, "Hey! When so-and-so can't wear that any more, can we have it?" Ha! I've never actually done that. Just thought about it.

I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!!

3 comments:

  1. Love hearing that Alise is doing so great! Happy V-Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alise looks so pretty in her polka dots! Your Valentine's Day treat looks fantastic. Mary-Kate got a Justin Bieber Valentine today. It reminded me of what you said about party supplies. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I made the popcorn treat for our family in Pennsylvania for Super Bowl Sunday. It was gobbled up. You are correct. It is addictive.

    Love the pictures of the little girls in their valentine attire.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete