Monday, January 24, 2011

Ode To Birthdays

For what it's worth, I seem to have lost my mojo for seasonal decorating. I started out so well for Halloween, continued through Christmas, but somehow lost interest in January. It must have gotten boxed up with all the Christmas decorations! I just can't seem to find any interest in decorating for Valentine's Day. And that is so sad, because I really love V-Day. I mean, really, really, really I do.

So in order to fight the Wintertime Blues, I've decided that hubs and I will have a Super Bowl party! What better way to get myself back in gear than throwing a party?

And speaking of parties, my birthday was last week. I turned 38. Eight years ago, I would have thought the world was coming to an end on my birthday, but a friend at work convinced me that having a birthday was SO much better than the alternative and reminded me that I had so much to be thankful for. That and God revealing 2 Corinthians 4:16 to me.

But that's not the point I'm trying to make here.

We were coming home Thursday evening {my birthday} and Alise asked me, "Mommie, when are we going to have your party?" I said, "Alise, Mommie doesn't have birthday parties anymore. I'm too old for a party." To which only a child of mine would say, "But I think you need to have a party! It's your birthday!" And then she asked me at what age do you stop having birthday parties and I really couldn't answer.

When DO you stop having birthday parties?

All I know is this. Come January 20, 2013, Laura WILL be having a 40th birthday party!!

And unlike my 30th birthday, I won't be wearing black and there won't be any buzzards involved {better not be, anyway}!

Where ever it's at will look like a bottle of Pepto-Bismol exploded and there better be chocolate cake involved!

And a crown.

And lots and lots of '80's music.

And maybe even a cruise ship.

Is all that too much to ask for a girl's 40th birthday bash?

So to all my family, friends, and blog lurkers that celebrate January 24th as their birthday - and you know who you are - I hope this is your happiest birthday evah!!

10 comments:

  1. Happy {Belated} Birthday to you!! You party plans for your 40th sound like a blast! My mom still has a family birthday party for each of us. It makes me feel like I am still a little girl! Mine was suppose to be last night but since Mother Nature decided to dump 6-8 inches of snow on us we moved it to Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday! Your 40 plan sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! Your blog comment about the Christmas tree bag made me laugh. Thanks for that. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a little party with my family when I turned 22. My grandpa's birthday is 2 days after mine and we always have dinner and cake together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right along with you on the whole cruise thang. Ahhh! It would be nice.

    Hey, I don't know about you but I'm having a huge Aloha bash on my 40th. Shoot, I might even break out the wine ;) just for a couple of somebodies. (hehe!)

    I think you might be including me on that whole "birthday wish". If so, well thank you very much. I had a wonderful weekend and appreciate every year that comes my way. Whoo Hoo!

    So, here's to us . . . CHEERS! May we be just as attractive to our other halves in the next 37 - 38 years from now. (tehe)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! I had a wonderful 40th birthday... And yes, there WAS a party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy late birthday! I am going to be 30 in 20 months. I am really not looking forward to it but I guess that is the way it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Laura. I gave myself a 65th birthday party last year. It was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe I missed your birthday! My life is totally getting in the way. I'm already planning my 40th & it ain't till 2014. And it's going to be a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like you have a lot of exciting partying to do!

    ReplyDelete