Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Crockpot is Possessed & Other Food For Thought

So I want you to know that for all the heart and soul I put into those mashed potatoes last night, I more than compensated for it tonight.

In the form of leftovers. Ha!

Normally, left over food doesn't go over well with my family. Unless it's pizza, taco soup, or lasagna. It's not that they are picky eaters, it's just that they don't do leftovers {Alise will take leftovers from the night before for lunch the next day}. So you can imagine how this affects my whole menu planning process. Smaller portions and dividing casseroles have become a way of life so as not to waste food {or money}.

I've read that some of you like to cook "ahead," and I do that to some extent. For instance, Monday, I made the meatballs so that when I got home on Tuesday, all I had to do was the sauce and put them in the oven.

I love my crockpot! We eat out of it at least once a week. Usually on the weekends because I promise you that my crockpot is possessed! With a capital P! It can cook at three different levels, but it doesn't matter what level I put it on, it always cooks on high! Always. That's why I am afraid to leave it on when we're not home. The longest I trust it by itself is just long enough for us to go to church on Sundays. I just know it's possessed enough to burn our entire house down! You laugh, but I promise you that if I let it cook things too long, it burns stuff up! Totally scortched my potato soup a few weeks ago.

Some of you take a Saturday out of the month and cook for the entire month! Casseroles, pizza bread, yada, yada, yada. I've always wanted to try that, but in order for me to, that means I need to be childless for the entire day. And whell. That just doesn't happen. Especially during hunting season. Oh! And it also means that I will have to have everything I need on hand, which doesn't happen - even after I've just made it home from the grocery store!

Oh! And I swear we are one half Italian and one half Mexican because other than a little chili or smothered steak, that's all we eat is pasta or queso! If it can't be smothered in cheese, we don't eat it! Ha!

Some of you probably think that I have become TOTALLY obsessed with food because it's all I ever talk about these days. I think it's the weather. I normally cook more in the winter time than I do in the summer. And how is that when I have a whole extra hour to cook in the summer?

4 comments:

  1. We must have the same crockpot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My crock pot does the same exact thing. It doesn't matter what I try to cook. I cook more in the winter too. I guess because it is colder and am indoors more. We are pasta and cheese dip eaters too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooove Mexican food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My crockpot is the same way!! And yes I love comfort food in the winter time! Your potato soup you mentioned sounds just perfect for our freezing cold temps we've been getting around here!

    ReplyDelete