Sunday, January 09, 2011

Louisiana Shrimp & Corn Bisque - You Know It's Good

We had a very low-key weekend and I was so thankful for it because the first week back to our regular routine was a veeeeery looooong one! Alise and I went to bed at 9:00 Friday night. I was completely exhausted!

Angie and M came over to the house on Saturday for lunch so the girls could exchange Christmas presents. M had been sick during Christmas break and they spent some time in Alabama for the holidays, so we never got to "catch up" until Saturday. I made Shrimp & Corn Bisque {recipe below} and lemon bars for lunch. Of course, I made the girls chicken nuggets and fries, but Alise did try the bisque. Angie and I talked and talked {another post}, played air hockey with the girls, played with our kindles and talked about books, and exchanged recipes {another post}. We both love to bake and cook. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the girls!

This morning, we woke up with a phone call from our associate pastor letting us know that church was cancelled due to sleet and rain. We stayed in our pajamas all day and kicked up the fireplace. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my fireplace {I just hate what it looks like!}!! We played, napped, read, watched old movies, made cookies, and ate chili. We're still waiting to hear whether or not Alise's school is cancelled tomorrow.

So here is the recipe for the Shrimp & Corn Bisque that I made. Let me just say that I think you could easily substitute crawfish for the shrimp. I did not use the crab meat nor did I use a whole pound of shrimp. I used frozen shrimp, already peeled and deveined. I have to say that I thought the recipe would have been much better with a little more kick, so if you like spicey food, I would definitely turn up the Tabasco! Enjoy!

Louisiana Shrimp & Corn Bisque (from The Times-Picayune)


2 T. butter

1 c. chopped onions

1/4 c. chopped red bell pepper

1/2 c. chopped green bell pepper

1/2 c. chopped celery

1 T. minced garlic

2 c. shrimp stock or chicken broth

1/2 c. dry white wine

1/2 t. dried thyme

1/4 c. vegetable oil

1/4 c. all purpose flour

3 1/2 c. heavy cream

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. hot sauce

1 c. shoepeg corn

1/2 lb lump crabmeat

1/2 lb med-size shrimp

1 T chopped parsley

1 T chopped green onions

Heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, celery and garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the stock, wine and thyme and bring to a boil. In a skillet over medium heat, combine oil and flour and stir constantly making a blonde roux. Add roux to the mixture in the sacepan and mix well to blend. Add cream in a steady stream, whisking with a whisk to combine the mixture. Add the salt, hot suace and corn. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the crabmeat and shrimp, parsley, and green onions and cook for about 5 minutes or until soup is well heated.

4 comments:

  1. This looks great! My husband LOVES shrimp creole - I may have to make it soon! This put me in the mood for it!!!

    Thanks for commenting on my post. I am not rooting for anyone tomorrow. I just hope it is a good game - not a blow out!

    ROLL TIDE, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a text that our school will be closed tomorrow. I couldn't be happier because I think Mady needs another day at home before she has to go back to day care. It has snowed quite a bit here. Can't wait to get out and play in it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just verifying--I have never cooked shrimp before. Putting in the raw shrimp and cooking for only five minutes it will be done? hehehe Sounds good. I have some shrimp in my freezer and plan to do this soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An ugly, functioning fireplace is so much better than no fireplace at all, especially when it's nasty outside!

    ReplyDelete