Tuesday, December 28, 2010

When Did "Lincoln" Become "Elvis"?

One of our local radio stations begins playing Christmas music right after Thanksgiving, so in all honesty, by the time Christmas Day arrives, I'm sick of Christmas music. The secular kind at least. Except for maybe Mariah Carey's, "All I Want For Christmas Is You." Love, love, that song!

So around December 10th, I noticed that when Alise would sing along with the radio to "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," she would say, "Like Elvis" at that part of the song that I {and everybody else for that matter} grew up saying "Like Lincoln."

You know the part:

Then how the reindeer loved him
As they shouted out with glee {insert Yipee!}
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
You'll go down in history {insert Like Lincoln}

Well, to avoid what I knew would be a knock-down-drag-out, I avoided the issue and let her keep singing her "Like Elvis" thingy. But by December 20th, the Christmas rush was taking over and I couldn't take it anymore.

I said, "Alise, it's not "like Elvis" it's "like Lincoln."

And do you know what my drama queen of a daughter asked me??

"Who is Lincoln?"

Uh? Excuse me? Who is Lincoln?!

Oh, he's just the freakin' sixteenth president of the United States! The same exact man that you learned was on the five dollar bill last year in Prek-4. The tall man that delivered the Gettysburg addressed. The president that was shot in Ford's theater.

So I decided to turn the question around. I said, "Well, who is Elvis?"

And she said, "I don't know. That's just what Ms. Hefner taught us to say in choir."

Good grief. What is the world coming to?

So a few days ago, I saw a commercial for an Elvis CD on TV and Alise happened to be in the living room. I said, "Alise! There is Elvis! That's the man you're talking about when you say, 'like Elvis' in the Rudolph song."

She had the audacity to turn around to me and say, "Well, mommie, he doesn't look like a reindeer!!"

Heaven help me!

10 comments:

  1. I learned it as "like George Washington"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned it as "like George Washington"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here for my son (George Washingon). We went back a little further when I was a child with "like Columbus"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always heard, like Columbus. Wow, Elvis. That is a scream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alise cracks me up! Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so funny! We always used to say like George Washington. When this song would come on the radio I would add the funny little remarks and Carter would get on to me for not singing it the correct way. I thought he would think it was funny, apparently not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priceless! I cannot wait to hear some of the stuff Caden comes up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HILARIOUS!!! I always heard "like Columbus!"... :) Happy New Year to ya'll! Yes, Ella is finally getting to go see the princesses! Do you remember after ya'll went, I couldn't tear her away from the pics on your blog posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We always said 'Like George Washington!'

    ReplyDelete