Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Reindeer Food

It KILLED me to "turn over the reins" this year for Alise's class Christmas party. I "passed the baton," per se and so believe it or not, I did not make a single thing for her party.

Well.

Except for maybe some Christmas pretzels dipped in almond bark.

And sprinkled with red and green sugar.

But ONLY because I bought the HUGE tub of Christmas pretzels at Sam's and we'll be eating on those suckers until July 4th!!

And then last night at 6 o'clock {while my left ear was about to fall off from aching so bad because I thought I could only take two days of an antibiotic that was actually prescribed for ten...} I thought it would be SO neat to make Alise's classmates some special "Reindeer Food" to sprinkle outside on Christmas Eve. After all, none of us really know when the "believing in Santa Claus" thing is gonna fly out the window. So I thought I'd milk it while I could. Even with an aching ear.

Here's the recipe I used:

oatmeal {I had to ration what I had because I wasn't getting out to go to the store}
red and white glitter for sparkle {Remember, I'm all about the "bling"}

I put the mixture in plastic Christmas bags, tied them with ribbon and attached this poem:

Sprinkle on the lawn at night
The moon will make it sparkle bright
As Santa's reindeer fly and roam
This will guide them to your home.
Merry Christmas from Your Friend Alise.

A perfect Christmas gift for her classmates! You'll have to take my word for it because I don't have any pictures. Shocker, I know. But remember the aching ear?

But just because I let go of a little holiday control, did NOT mean that I wasn't going to attend my baby's Christmas party! And I DO have pictures from that!

All the kids couldn't wait to open their presents from Mrs. M!

All you Girlies cracked me up with your comments over my last post. And maybe I did feel just a slight pang of guilt about not doing a gingerbread house with Alise, but I would MUCH rather bake cookies with her this weekend instead!

And speaking of gingerbread, check out this pirate ship from another blog I like to read. How neat!

Thank you for reading and stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. I bought those pretzels for my daughters class last year and ended up bringing most of them home and they lasted so long I had to throw them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing with the pretzels this year too! I am trying the red velvet cake balls tonight. I hope they turn out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam's Club has Christmas pretzels??? I may have to go there Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually make reindeer food for everyone. We're talking huge amounts. But I haven't made the first baggy full this year.

    ReplyDelete