Monday, December 13, 2010

Gingerbread Houses









In December 2004 - when I was 4 months pregnant with Alise - I went to visit my best friend from high school in Tulsa. Of course, Carrie had her house decorated to the nines! Simply gorgeous! In her kitchen, she had a small Christmas tree that had homemade gingerbread men as ornaments. I'm talking real, edible cookies, ya'll. I remember thinking that was just the neatest thing! Carrie said she liked to bake gingerbread because the aroma made her house smell all Christmas-y. I thought, "Yeah, some day..." So this year I decided that this was the year that I was going to make gingerbread so that my house would smell wonderfully delicious, too.

Then I smelled a Yankee Gingerbread candle in the mall.

And changed my mind.

Somehow, Carrie's house smelled a whole heckuva lot better back then and after talking to Mirya about it and realizing that I could possibly blow up my little hand-held mixer, I decided against it.

Have you ever put together a gingerbread house?

I'm sorry to say that I am nearly 38 years old AND I have a five year old daughter and neither of us have ever put together a gingerbread house. AND I have a good excuse. It's called "patience" and it's definitely something that me and God are working on.

So a few weeks ago when I was shopping with Mi in Birmingham, we visited Old World Market {I had never been to one, but I LOVED the store!} and saw - get this! - pre-assembled gingerbread houses. I had never seen such! And if I wasn't hopping on a jet plane in a few hours, I would have bought one, too! I have yet to find any pre-assembled houses where I live, but I'm really not all "Bah! Humbug!" I really would like to decorate one.

Key word: decorate.

I'll keep you posted if it is an endeavor that we decide to attempt this holiday, but don't hold your breath.

I hope the pictures of gingerbread houses inspired you a little more than they did me! Send me your gingerhouse pics! I would love to see them!

13 comments:

  1. LOL! Last year was the first year we attempted the gingerbread house. We bought the kit at Walmart, and we just had to assemble and decorate it. It was a chore, but my oldest enjoyed it. I don't think we'll try to do it this year though. It just wasn't that great to me. LOL! But we can say we've done it once. That's what matters, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a kit today at Michael's for $7.99! I should have gotten you one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a kit today at Michael's for $7.99! I should have gotten you one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought a kit today. I hope it is better than the fiasco we had a couple of years ago. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walmart has already assembled gingerbread houses. No, assembly or decorating necessary. DONE! They were pricey at $20, but so worth it. I'll have to take a picture and post one day.

    I love gingerbread and I enjoyed making them homemade, the one year. You have to have the bread beaters though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My girls have been begging me to buy them a gingerbread house since they saw them at Wal-Mart. I think I'll surprise them with one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, as creative as you are you must go to Target, WM, Michael's, Kroger, where ever & buy a gingerbread kit. If I can do it with my 3 kids & not kill anybody, you certainly can. Just pour yourself a XL cocktail & go at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gingerbread is one of our big themes in first grade. Last week each child was able to decorate their own gingerbread house. Some parents preassembled them using graham crackers and icing. The children had so much fun decorating their houses. I'm sure Alise would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gingerbread is one of our big themes in first grade. Last week each child was able to decorate their own gingerbread house. Some parents preassembled them using graham crackers and icing. The children had so much fun decorating their houses. I'm sure Alise would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a World Market in Shrport; I love that store too. One of my friends found the cutest little $2 kits at Fred's. The "house" is some type of hard sugar. It was pretty cute for the price and would fill your gingerbread void:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to let ya know, I just posted a picture of the gingerbread house that I bought from Walmart. Check it out:
    http://themasonbunch.blogspot.com/2010/12/deep-freeze-in-south.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrie6:49 PM

    Hey girl! I am still laughing! The gingerbread tree is on the kitchen table! You can do it!!! Allie-Grace LOVES to help...Alise would love it! You CAN DO IT!!!!
    Did you like your tray? I would have stopped by your new house and given it to you, but I didn't know your address.
    I got your card today---thanks!!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrie6:52 PM

    We made gingerbread houses in class today. If kindergarteners can, you can two! I hot glued graham crackers to a small milk carton-we saved and washed them from our cafe. Then I gave the kids their own pastry bag with icing and lots of different candies for decoration. They turned out so cute! We then put Pepperidge Farm gingerbread men on the outside. They really did turn out cute.

    ReplyDelete