Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Slow Cooker Potato Soup

I found an old Gooseberry Patch recipe book in the Christmas section of the library a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to try this recipe! I love to cook with my crockpot! I also puffy heart potato soup and this one is so hearty and hmmm-hmmm good! An absolute perfect supper for those cold Saturday nights in front of the fireplace - which is exactly how we ate it!

4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
10.75 oz can cream of celery soup
10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 1/3 c. water
4 2/3 c. milk
6.6 oz pkg instant mashed potato flakes
Garnish: bacon bits, green onions and shredded Cheddar cheese

Place potatoes, soups and water into a slow cooker; heat on high setting until potatoes are tender; about 2-3 hours. Add milk and instant mashed potatoes to reach desired consistency, stirring constantly. Heat 2-3 hours longer; spoon into bowls to serve. Top with garnishes. Serves 4-6.

The only thing I would add is that the serving size is WAY off! I had a crockpot FULL of potato soup. I also had to add more milk than what the recipe called for to get it to the consistency I wanted.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds gooood! And now that my youngest is at college and not home to say "NO Way!" I will try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds easy enough for even me to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retro just commented on how much he likes things cooked in the crock pot. (I made a roast.) Plus we love potato soup. I'm printing it out now.

    ReplyDelete