Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Halloween Cake Balls


I’ve gotten so many emails and questions about the Cake Balls that I made for the Halloween party that I’ve decided to post the recipe here. But I must give credit where credit is due and let you know that the "original recipe" came from the "Queen of Cake Balls" – Bakerella herself!

Let your tastes and imagination run wild because any combination of cake and icing will do. But I must say that the Red Velvet Cake Balls are my absolute favorite!

1 box of Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake mix
1 container of cream cheese icing
1 pkg of almond bark (usually found near the bottom shelf of the baking aisle) OR
1 pkg of colored candy melts found at most craft stores (even Walmart has them!)

Make the cake as directed according to the instructions on the box. Let the cake cool. In a large bowl, crumble the cake and mix in the icing. This will be messy! You may even need to use your hands (but it is so worth it in the end!). Shape mixture into 1 inch balls and place on wax paper. Chill in the refrigerator (I like to put mine in the freezer). The harder the balls are, the easier they are to dip. Next, melt the almond bark and dip the balls to cover. Place on wax paper to dry. Wah-la! Sheer yumminess!!

I like this recipe so much because I don’t feel like I have to do everything in one day {or night, in my case}. I usually make the cake one night; make the balls the next; and dip the balls another night. If you put them in the freezer, they can keep for several weeks.

Let me know your combinations!

P.S. The cake balls I made for the Halloween Party were from a chocolate cake mix and I used regular chocolate icing.

3 comments:

  1. I love cake balls...but hate to make anything with chocolate since the boys are allergic. I may try some with white cake mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cake balls always look like cake blobs...I wish I could make them actually look like balls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete