Tuesday, September 21, 2010

THE Flag & A Recipe

One of THE MOST IMPORTANT things that happened this weekend is that the BAMA flag made it "home."I told you in Sunday's post that we currently have an offer on our old house. This flag waved high and proud there for many years and Wayne was determined not to bring it to the new house until we officially said "good-bye." Well....I think the suspense was killing him so Friday evening on his way home from work, he stopped by the old house and picked up the flag. It was hung in it's new spot within fifteen minutes of him pulling into the driveway. Roll Tide!!

One of my new goals for my family has been menu planning. For the last three weeks, I have been planning our weekly menus and I am AMAZED at the amount of money I am saving at the grocery store. Having a list and a plan makes a world of difference. We were simply eating out too much. It would begin on Thursday nights and we would eat out every meal until Sunday night, but not anymore. Preparing meals also helps with Alise's lunches because I was so concerned about her eating lunchables and sandwiches every day {she'd rather take her lunch than eat in the school cafeteria and for those of you that remember, her lunch cost is $4 a day!}. Now, our meals aren't elaborate - there's only three of us - but now I feel like I cook more of a variety and not the same ol' stuff. And believe it or not, it's kinda fun, too.

So on Sunday morning, I got up a little early and prepared a Mexican Casserole for us to eat after church. I added some corn on the cob and some yeast rolls and that was our Sunday lunch. It was perfect!
The ingredients
Brown one pound of hamburger meat with a little chopped onion. Drain the grease and add the taco seasoning with about 1/3 cup of water. Stir until heated thoroughly. Mix the cheese, soup, and rotel in a saucepan until melted.
Layer the casserole with chips, meat, and then cheese sauce. Should make about two layers in an 8 x 8 pan. We had left overs and plenty of the cheese mixture for nachos later in the week. Yummy!!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds good! Heres an idea for ya, unless you already do this. I am making it tonight. Make large meatballs from ground chuck, green onions, bread crumbs and an egg. Brown them. Add a small jar of spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and italian seasonings. Simmer and serve on a Po Boy bun. Add sauteed peppers & onions, and cheese on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that your flag is flying out your new house. We try to meal plan too and it makes a huge difference. We make healthier decisions that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the recipe and can't wait to try it.
    But did you really have to show the flag. Maybe you will get a lot of offers now that the flag is off the old house!! HAHA - Geaux Tigers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our willpower is terrible lately. Eating out is way too easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe sounds really good. I'll have to give it a try. I am trying to get back into the habit of cooking dinner. We have been horrible about eating out since school has started. I have my list ready for this week - I just need to get to the grocery store to buy all that I need.

    ReplyDelete