Monday, August 30, 2010

My Chocolate Cake Recipe

I have a confession.

I LOVE cake! Especially chocolate.

I am the only person that I know that can walk into an ice cream shop, spot the cupcake/ice cream combo on the menu and have her heart sink because the cupcakes are not sold individually, but as a package of six. And although I would be more than happy to put away six cupcakes, I opt for the red velvet cake and cake batter ice cream instead.

See? I told you I had a thing for cake!

On the way to Baton Rouge, Leigh and I were talking about the little shin-dig we're planning on having at the Rammer Jammer Residence this weekend. And let me just say, that you know you have a friend for life when she offers to bring an appetizer or dessert to the party! I told her that I was making my signature chocolate cake for the party, too. I knew it would make her smile.
My chocolate cake became a hit with the girlfriends when we use to get together for our monthly pokeno night. Sadly, pokeno night has bit the dust, but the chocolate cake lives on! My employees would rather have it than any other birthday cake (I buy birthday cakes for my employees' birthdays). It's just that good.
But I can't take all the credit. The recipe originated from a Woman's Day magazine and it is just so rich and chocolaty. Perfect for any party, potluck, birthday, or just because.
Cake:
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/3 c. boiling water
2 1/3 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. oil
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 T. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Frosting:
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
3 c. confectioners sugar
6 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate melted & cooled
About 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray pans with Pam and line bottoms with wax paper. Put cocoa powder and boiling water in medium bowl; stir until smooth. When cool, add next 4 ingredients. Beat with mixer on medium speed until blended. On low speed, add flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat until smooth (batter is thin). Pour into pans. Bake 45-55 minutes until pick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges, invert on cooling rack, peel off paper and cool completely.

Frosting: Beat butter and vanilla in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in 1/2 c. of sugar, then chocolate. Alternate beating in remaining sugar and 1/2 c. cream. Increase speed to medium; beat, adding more cream if needed, until spreadable. Spread 1 c. of frosting between layers and complete cake.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yum, I can't wait to try some. Please pray that the stomach virus leaves our house before Friday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.M.G. I am soooo making this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWW!! You are so sweet!! I will always be your friend!! Especially since you are making that chocolate cake...lol I've never asked for that recipe b/c it wouldn't be the same if I made it!

    Can't wait for the party! Gotta go buy my LSU shirt.......

    ReplyDelete