Sunday, August 08, 2010

I Won The Battle!

If this weekend of cleaning has taught me anything, it's that there is NO WAY our house will be completely ready by Labor Day. By "ready" I mean everything in it's place and fully decorated. As much as I would love to have things that way, I've decided not to stress about it {And anyone who really knows me is thinking, "Laura has been sniffin' TOO many cleaning fumes this weekend!!"}. I'm not going to let the fact that we don't have a kitchen back splash or window treatments or closet doors {yes, closet doors!} or even all our furniture spoil the fun of entertaining our family and friends. The party must go on!!

I successfully won the battle against all the dust this weekend! I have to tell ya! I'm a floor person. I like to walk around barefoot in my house and if I feel even the slightest bit of dirt or dust on my feet, I go for the vacuum. I'm just neurotic about having a clean floor. So after confessing that, it's no surprise that the very first thing I did on Friday evening was drag out the vacuum cleaner and mop! And - you'll love this! - the whole time I'm vacuuming, I'm thinking, "Stained concrete through out? WHAT was I thinking??!!" Oh, and I also helped Wayne put in the microwave that night, too! Who says I can't do it all?

On Saturday morning, I decided to take a little break and take Alise and Emma to the movies to see "Ramona & Beezus." It was a cute movie and the girls really liked it. However, I was left wondering where this hunk has been all my life??!!Mr. Duhamel ranks right up there with Mr. McConaghey and Mr. Cooper in my book! And Ginnifer Goodwin is now one of my favorite actresses, too! Really liked her and her short bob!

So I thought I would leave you with a few pictures of some semblance of my decorating abilities just to prove to you {and myself} that I am getting some things done around the house. Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Kelly at Craft Therapea did these awesome towels for me! I just LOVE them and I plan on her doing some more for me soon! But what I can't decide is if I like the rod iron holder because the way it's made, the towels won't hang the way I want them to. I bought the towel holder at Hobby Lobby for $7.48. What to do?
Another Hobby Lobby find for half price - $7.50. I bought the beaded fringe separate and my mom applied it with her hot glue gun. I love this lamp and it looks so cute in Alise's pink bathroom.
This cheap find came from Kirkland's for $6.50. It's a temporary shower curtain for Alise's bath because I ultimately plan to go with a black and white polka dot shower curtain. Wayne complains that it's too thin and that I need to buy a liner. I do and I will. One day. In the mean time, I plan to dress it up with hot pink ribbon as holders for the curtain.
Here's the latest look for our bedroom. I'm loving it more and more. This weekend I added the embroidered duvet {still need to purchase the goose down to go underneath} and pillows. I just love the scalloped edges, but would you believe that matching pillow shams did not come with the duvet? I'll eventually have to buy those! Can't stand just the plain white pillow cases. We also got all our clothes moved in to the closets. I contacted an Etsy seller about the adhesive "H" to go above the bed.
And just so you don't think I've swallowed a zebra or something with all the zebra print I've got going on, here is a rug that I got for $40 at Lowe's. It is currently in the hall, but it's not long enough to cover the entire length and it was the only one they had left. I love it, but I'm thinking I'll have to find another place for it.

We cleaned the fans and globes, rearranged the living room furniture {all of 2 pieces - ha!}, arranged the pantry, spent two hours cleaning out the old house, washed 1,000 loads of laundry and about 550 cycles on the dishwasher. The microwave works and the oven still smokes.

And THAT's how I spent my weekend!!

9 comments:

  1. I love your bed!!

    Ginnifer is one of my fav actresses! I loved her in He's Just Not That Into You and Mona Lisa Smile..she's great!

    I miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched an old episode of Law and Order last week. Ginnifer was some Jersey/rocker girl that found her boyfriend dead. Thought that was funny, since she was so precious in Ramona! House is looking wonderful. Everyone will love you even if your house isn't ready for the party, because the ice cream bowls will be such a cute distraction!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the decorating is coming along even if it is slower than you would like. Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good chic! Can't wait to see y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bedroom looks great! Love the towels you had made. Everything is coming together great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The house looks great! I wish I could come out to LA & see it for myself. :) Maybe one day...

    I didn't realize my boyfriend, Josh was in that movie. That's still on my summer to do list! But only Sass would enjoy it & nobody has offered to keep the other 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me LOL! I am so OCD about vacuuming! I swear I vacuum twice a day b/c I can't stand to feel junk on my bare feet either:) I have to tell Jason I am not the only one haha! LOVE Alise's bathroom oh my goodness! Seriously adorable. I had no idea you were so close to Jackson! I will for sure email you next time I go down. My brother is a big hunter too so he and Wayne have a lot in common there. He's actually a Wildlife Biologist for the USDA. Glad to see the house coming together so great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ramona Quimby might just be may favorite children's heroine. My girls LOVED her. I read all her books aloud to them, even after they could read themselves.

    The house is looking good.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  9. We loved Ramona and Beezus too. We saw it when we were in LA. Josh D. is a total hottie. I pink puffy heart all the things for Alise's room, especially those towels--too stinkin' cute! Your room is looking el-e-gant!

    ReplyDelete