Monday, August 23, 2010

Back To A Routine

Hello Everyone! I hope you had a great weekend!

Imagine my surprise when I woke up Saturday morning and actually saw the leaves blowing. In the wind. In Louisiana. In August. What was God thinking? That only happens when a thunderstorm is about to unleash a heavy rain. It was still hot and humid, but definitely strange to see the leaves blowing in summer.

I'm sure ya'll are trying to get back into the routine of school just like us. It's a cah-RAY-zee time of year and even after sticking to some-what of a schedule this summer for daycare, it's still been hard. Luckily, we've still made it out the door by 7:30 every morning. And that's including the extra "to do" we've added to the morning routine that has Alise making her bed before we leave. Believe it or not, so far, she's done really well with it - even making it up on the weekends, too {Speaking of beds, I called the furniture store and Alise's furniture has been put on back order until September 10th. I wasn't happy about it at. all.}. Of course the "newness" of school hasn't worn off yet, so ask me in about two weeks how we're still doing! Ha!

With the new house and extra space, I'm trying to re-vamp our "go to" space. I don't know about you, but in our old house, everything got dropped on the kitchen counter closest to the door. I mean, we would come in from school and Alise would drop her book bag, dance bag, Wayne would drop his change and watch, the mail, my purse...you name it, it ended up on the kitchen counter. It drove. me. nuts. Old habits die hard because some days it looks like the island has become our "go to" space in the new house. But I'm putting my foot down this time.

I eventually want to turn our laundry room into a mud room with cubbies and baskets, hooks and shelves, and a bench to sit on. But those plans are for another day. So to improvise, I bought a cubby storage system at Lowe's and a few fabric baskets to fit and walla!! We can "hide" our junk in the laundry room and in the baskets so I don't have to look at it. Alise's book bag fits nicely into one of the cubbies and so does my purse. She has a basket for her school papers that I need to review and smaller items go in the baskets. I eventually want to add some corkboard and a dry erase calendar, as well as a docking station for our cellphones. Then my life will be complete. Maybe.

My point to all this is that the new "go to" system makes our lives alot easier in the morning time. Alise knows where her book bag is, her blue folder is already in it and I can find my purse and we're out the door! For other short cuts, we usually plan our outfits the Sunday before {Alise picks two outfits and I pick two; on Fridays she wears her cheerleading outfit}. Except for any cold items, I make up her lunch the night before. Bed time is at 8:00 sharp except on cheer practice nights and then it's 8:30. This is how we roll.

Now if I could just get her to eat breakfast!

4 comments:

  1. I'm terrible about making my bed and I'm nearly 25, so props to you for having your baby do it now! I am getting better, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Momma! Sassy sleeps on top of her made-up bed under a blanket. That's how we roll! :) You know we have a mud room with bench/cubby thing. We have hangers behind the bench & the opposite wall is painted with chalkboard paint. They also have magnetic paint. (we have a can that we haven't used yet! on the to do list)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a post in my reader about bows but it is not on your blog--just wanted to tell you that I pink puffy heart Rainbows by Paulette. I have been buying bows from her since I was in high school and all three of my girls have worn her bows!!! She is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need a go to place in our house. You have inspired me to get that done.

    ReplyDelete