Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Summer Reading List

I thought for today that I would post our school's PreK & K Summer reading list. Now, of course, this is more for ME than anyone because I just know that between tonight and the middle of August, I'm going to misplace this pretty pink piece of paper in front of me.

The title of the reading list is "2010 Summer Challenge Booklist." What a challenge it will be! Recommended ages are 3-5 and don't panic like I did when I first saw the list. Maybe the recommended age should be 6 and above since you'll be the one reading these great books to your sweet little ones and not necessarily the other way around. Unless you have a very, VERY smart little one who is already reading, and to you I say, rock your own new 2010 Summer Challenge Booklist.

So here goes:

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Beach by Elisha Cooper
The Night Pirates by Peter Harris & Deborah Allwright
On Top of Spaghetti by Paul Brett Johnson
The Hello, goodbye Window by Norton Juster & Chris Raschka
Purplicious by Victoria & Elizabeth Kann
Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann
Alice the Fairy by David Shannon
Too Many Toys by David Shannon
I Lost My Kisses by Trudie Trewin & Nick Bland
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy by Mo Willems
Peanut by Linas Alsenas
Do Like a Duck Does by Judy Hindley & Ivan Bates
Jellybeans and the Big Dance Laura Numeroff & Nate Evans
Let's Talk Swimming by Amanda Miller
Ladybug Girl by David Soman & Jacky Davis
What Pet to Get? by Emma Dodd
Maybe a Bear Ate It! by Robie Harris Micheal Emberly
If You Were A Penquin byFlorence Minor & Wendell Minor

Check out your local libraries this summer for their reading programs. Ours starts this Saturday with a big kick-off party at the main branch. I plan on taking Alise and signing her up!

For the last few nights, we have been playing "school." I made some sight word flashcards and we have learned three new words: "and," "the," and "they." I borrowed Alice the Fairy, On top of Spaghetti, and If You Give A Cat A Cupcake from the library and we've been reading those. Any time I get to one of our sight words, I make Alise say the word. We've also been going over our addition flashcards. Nothing major. Just spending 15-20 minutes brushing up on things and I have to take advantage of it right now because she actually asks to "play school." I'm not quite sure how much longer that will last.

Ms. L would be proud!

4 comments:

  1. That's a great list of books. You are doing so great! Ms. L would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a retired librarian, I am delighted with this post.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. That gives me some great ideas of books to look for at the library. Good idea about taking advantage of Alise wanting to play school. When Carter wants to play school I jump on the chance because any other time he wants nothing to do with it at home.

    ReplyDelete