Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Have A Reader!!


Ever since my last parent-teacher conference with Ms. L a few weeks ago, I've been on a mission to have Alise reading before she started kindegarten this fall. I'm like that. I get on a tangent and run with it.

So I bought Alise some story books and some A-mazing first reader books and dressed them up in pretty polka dot paper for her birthday. Imagine my surprise when in the middle of opening all her presents from her friends, she said, "Mommie, I want to open your presents!" My heart melted. But as I was reaching for the books wrapped in pretty paper, I quietly said to the moms that were standing nearby to hear her request, "Mommie likes to buy educational toys."

After the party, we spent nearly two hours going through all the gifts that Alise received...tearing into packages and playing the "who-gave-you-that?" game. We finally got back around to the books and I showed her the little books in the box. The first book was based on words that she already knew so we began reading. Just like that! And in five minutes, Alise had read her first book and I had tears in my eyes. My baby was reading!The Bob Books are A-mazing and perfect for pre-schoolers that are just learning to read. It encourages them so much because the books are no more than about 5-7 pages with four words at most on a page and as you would assume, the words rhyme. It makes them feel a sense of accomplishment for finishing a book that they've read all by themselves. And from the picture above, you can see that there are progressing levels.

Alise took her first book to school yesterday and Ms. L let her read it to the class. I was SO proud of her. We started our second book last night and she is just loving it. As a reader myself, I really want to encourage her to read and enjoy it because I think it makes the whole learning process so much easier. We've always enjoyed visiting our local library. I use to take her to story time before she even started walking. We know the children's librarian by name and attend "pajama jam" when we can but I'm hoping to spend even more time there this summer.

Does anybody remember the "RIF" commercials? Does anyone remember what it stands for?

Reading. Is. Fun.

7 comments:

  1. YEAH for Alise and for Mommy! How precious! We have some of those BOB books. :) I remember when my oldest read one for the first time...it is such a sweet moment to share as a mommy.

    As a homeschooling mom, I often sit in awe listening to Caleb read. It just tickles me pink to think that I helped with that. :)

    Keep up the reading Alise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo woo Yay for Alise and you! that is very exciting!!
    and Thanks for keeping my roommate in your prayers!!

    I do have a great professor- today we got homemade pumpkin choc chip muffins- i could get used to this ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for Alise! I am getting those books for Carter as a birthday present too. He has been showing an interest in reading and I want to run with it. I have been going back and forth as to which ones to start him on. The Pre-Reading Skills or Set 1. I think I am leaning towards Set 1...which ones did you start on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Mama and Alise! :) I knew this post would be peeking up soon. Wahhhh! They grow so fast. matthew and I always say that once they can read there is no going back. *sigh*

    Enjoy this journey together, you two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is that! I'll have to check out those books for Bo. We are working on his sight words now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is terrific! I love that she is reading. I know you are so proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for reading!!! I remember reading my first chapter book near the end of 2nd grade -- Mr. Popper's Penguins.

    ReplyDelete