Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day!

We live behind a Baptist church and I love when the patriotic holidays roll around because the church always does such a wonderful job of displaying "Old Glory." The flags line a major highway and my heart swells when I drive past them every time. I want to say "Thank you and God Bless" to all our soldier men and women who fight for our very freedom.Talk about freedom! As soon as I snapped some pictures of "Old Glory" at the church, I went to the new house to drop off a load of things and lo' and behold I witnessed our neighbors SWIMMING IN THEIR FRONT FOUNTAIN!!! We haven't met them yet (they actually live a street over from our new house) but LAWDY!! I mean, it's HAWT but it ain't even July yet! Then, on Sunday when I drove by, there were actual chairs surrounding the fountain, so I knew they had been doing some serious swimming. I mean, talk about a CEMENT POND!!!
Alise is SOOO enjoying her first days of summer. She has been having so much fun hanging out with family and friends that I know I'm going to feel so guilty next week when she has to go to daycare. But for right now, she is having an absolute BLAST going to VBS with her Nana and slippin-and-slidin with Cousin Brooklyn. Here she is poking her head through the first major hole in the wall that we're tearing out.
This is a iron and marble table that I bought at Hobby Lobby last week. It was regularly priced at $199, but I got it for $119. I was so excited. My first "major purchase" for the new house. I hope I can score as well on all the other entire ROOMS of furniture I've got to buy. Why, oh, why couldn't my MIL still be in the furniture business????
Some of you have asked about color scheme. Well, here it is!
Inspiration, folks! It's all about inspiration! And let me tell you about my "good find" story: Long story short, a nice lady in Steinmart offered me a 50% off coupon for home furnishings. So I went back and picked up a polka dot bedspread and shams that I wanted for Alise's bedroom along with the pillow pictured below. When we got to the check out, the bedspread and shams were actually on sale and the clerk took an additional 50% off the sale price plus 50% off the pillow! I got all my things for the amount that the bedspread alone would have cost!! She was too kind! That, Girlies, was a GOOD DAY!!!

I'll share where all the colors will go in the house in a later post. However, I will give you a little hint. When Wayne was with me on Friday at Hobby Lobby to pick up the table, he let me wonder over to the fabric aisle to cut some samples for curtians/valance to go over the kitchen sink. Then I rounded the corner and saw houndstooth fabric and had the most AWESOME idea!! Do you think you know? I'll explain it more later. S came over this morning and we discussed my kitchen island. She had some really great ideas that I'll share later, too. I've got to get the plans to the carpenter this week. Maybe I'll share them here, too. I guess the only "sinking feeling" we had this weekend was the fact that we probably won't be able to do the stained concrete floors like we wanted. You can still see the grout lines from the old tile in the kitchen and bathrooms no matter how much we sanded! Wayne got SO much done this weekend and I wanted to say a big thanks to our friends who allowed us to use their "child labor." Ha!

Our weekend wouldn't be complete without a nice little note our babysitter left on our refrigerator this weekend! Ugh!! Roll Tide, Leanna!!
Baby Girl on Sunday morning before church. I thought she looked so beautiful in her watermelon dress (another smocking that will probably be up for sale next year. Stay tuned).

This afternoon, I managed to talk Wayne into a break and spend some time with our new friends, L & C. C is Alise's t-ball coach and we have just become great friends! Coach grilled hamburgers and L made a great corn dip! Then we had vanilla and oreo ice-cream, but the orea turned out more like a shake than ice cream, but it was still delish!

Here are the girls! They had the BEST time swimming! Alise got her first sunburn (very light and she was wearing sunscreen, too!) of the summer and thinks the criss-cross on her back is da bomb. Of course, E, got a tan after five minutes in the pool!!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like y'all had a wonderful weekend as well. Love the picture with all the flags. Y'all have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like my uncle's house, and they did just have a fountain put in--just kidding! Love that bedding for Alise's room!! You are on a roll; everything is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a great weekend! Love the colors scheme for the new house. I laughed so hard when I saw the neighbors in the cement pond. I haven't thought about that show in years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your summer is going to be BUSY! It looks like ya'll are on a roll though! Ella has that same bathing suit! :) Hope your week is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of the colors for the house. We have some houndstooth swivel chairs that I love! Can't wait to see what you do with that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love sales and sale surprises? Things sound like they are really coming along with the house.

    Alise is like my girls - easily sunburned. My Paige is a redhead and she burned in a minute. None of us ever tan. We keep the sunscreen companies in business...along with you.

    Have a good week.
    Remember how much fun Alise will have at day care this summer and leave the guilt behind.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  7. FUNNY! Fountain swimming! HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Oh my!

    You should just give the boys and I Alise during the day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that pillow! Maybe y'all can have some good ol' fountain parties!

    ReplyDelete