Thursday, April 29, 2010

We Bought A House, Ya'll!!

I am just sitting here tickled to death with excitement to tell you about our good fortune! It is just a-mazing how the events over the last month have worked out in our favor. When the Good Lord decides to move you, He'll move you!

Most of our close friends know that we live in an itty-bitty house. We bought our current home eleven years ago and it was our first "major" investment since being a married couple. We have been so blessed and happy here and there will be many bitter sweet tears when we close the door and say, "good-bye" for the final time. But the fact is, we've outgrown it and recently came to the realization that it was time to move on to something bigger.

We have been looking at houses off and on since January, I guess, but we never found anything that we knew was "the one." We couldn't decide what area to live in and I was heart broken about the possibility of taking Alise out of private school. And then, of course, we had to consider Wayne's work route and whether or not we wanted to be further away distance-wise for him.

And then, something happened about a month ago. All of a sudden, finding a new home became priority to me. It was like this light bulb went off inside my head one morning and I thought, "We've got to find a house today!" And honestly, it didn't have anything to do with the "Obama tax credit," either. We weren't trying to find a house by April 30th. But we did get serious. I took our paperwork to the bank and we got pre-approved.

In the last month, we have made four different offers on three different houses. The first house, the seller was hateful (she had a reputation, let me tell ya!) and so we just walked away. The second house, we low-balled so badly that the bank gave us the same thing in return by barely budging off the price. That was okay, though, because in the mean time, we had found this house and couldn't wait to make an offer! So, we did. And so did another couple. And to make the story even worse, the bank sent us a letter stating that the offers were so close in price, that they were giving both couples the option to submit a better offer. We submitted another offer; the other couple did not and last Sunday night at 10:44, our realtor called to tell us the good news!!

We are currently in the inspection phase of the offer. We've had an architect friend and an engineer who is a friend-of-a=friend out to check a certain area of the house that we thought might be a problem and both came to the same consensus, that nothing was wrong. We were so excited to hear that!

The house is a story and a half with three bedrooms and two baths on the first floor. However, the upstairs is absolutely HUMONGOUS and could easily be made into two additional bedrooms and still have room to spare! For right now, though, we are concentrating on the downstairs and outside areas as far as remodeling and updating. I can't wait to show you pics, but of course, we won't be moving in right away because there is a little remodeling that we want to do which includes knocking out a wall in the kitchen to open it up to the living room. I promise, promise, promise to come through with pics within the next few weeks! In the meantime, we're scrounging around trying to find carpenters and trying to decided if we would like to have our architect friend design the part of the house where the wall will be knocked out. We plan to use columns to dress up the opening. I have absolutely NO idea what color schemes I want to go in, but we are planning on replacing the kitchen counters with black granite and we're going to have an island built, too, because the kitchen is just so darn huge! We've also been looking at furniture and found our new bedroom suite in Mississippi. I can't believe I'm finally going to have a king-size bed!!

So excited, ya'll!!

I apolojize if this post is more rambling and doesn't quite make any sense.

My brother, SIL, and niece are coming in this weekend. Apparently the Toad Suck Festival is happening in their town this weekend and my SIL decided to close her salon. We're planning on eating crawfish on Saturday and just spending time together!

I hope you have an AWESOME weekend (and if you have any decorating ideas or tips for me, please, please email me or leave a comment)!!

21 comments:

  1. Congrats!! Yes, the Toad Suck festival is this weekend...I saw signs everywhere when I was there this past weekend!! Good luck with the move! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you all! Cannot wait to see the before and after photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You will love columns. We have columns separating our living room from our dining room and they really dress things up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! So excited for ya'll! Can't wait to see pics and hear more about your new house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! That's great news. Can't wait to see pictures. Will Alise get to stay in the same school?

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOO HOO! Congratulations Laura!!! We have offerd on another short sale and are STILL waiting from the bank to hear if we got it! I'm so happy and excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I'm so happy for y'all. MORE ROOM TO MOVE AROUND. Yay! I'm sure it will be hard to close the door to the old house because of all the memories y'all have made, but look at all the new memories you'll be making. FUN! That kind of investment is very scary for us. Isn't God good? He provides when needed.

    Y'all take care and enjoy your visit with your family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Laura! HOW EXCITING! I can't wait to see and hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited for y'all! My phone better ring when you get keys! I so wanna see!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yaaaaay for you on the house! That is awesome:) Thanks for the tubes advice. I really think it is time and we are doing the right thing. I will just be a mess until it is all over haha! Can the doctor write the mother of the patient a prescription for a xanax hahaha? I need to chill out! I will be so glad when it is all over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!! So excited for y'all! Can't wait to see pics! you have to blog about your remodeling experiences! I love all that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I come and see it?????? YAY!!! Nothing like finding THE house! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! How very exciting for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for y'all. (How's that for a northern lady?)

    Have fun with the family this weekend. I'd hate to miss theToad Suck Festival myself.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!!! I know this is an answered prayer for your family! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful news! You will have so much fun - a be so exhausted - making the house just the way you want it. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! I am so excited for you. I can't wait to see the pictures. We have looked off and on for the last several months but I am just not seeing anything that is the "one. I am being really picky because I want it to be the one we are in for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am soooo excited for you! I can't wait to see pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats! That is awesome news. It will be so fun deciding how to decorate and what colors to use. God's timing is always the best! Can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the new house!! Can't wait to see pics! (= and love the decorating ideas on your most recent post- LOVE CORAL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh, you're killing me with the suspense. I want to see pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete