Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Have You Ever Heard of Such?

**Updated to add that we now have a very nice, freshly mowed lawn.

Thank you so much for your sweet comments about our Easter pics. They make me feel so good seeing as how I decided to boycott our local gardens this year because they started charging admission to take family Spring/Easter pictures. Ridiculous. So who needs the gardens anyway when we have pink azaleas and mile high grass??? Ha! Besides. There's a first time for everything. The first year Alise didn't wear lavender and the first year we missed taking pictures in THE gardens (I still think ol' lady Beidenharn is rolling over in her grave!).

Ok. So I just have to ask: Have you ever heard of not mowing your grass until after Easter? And what about planting your garden (oh, that word again, but this time I'm talking food. Not flowers) on Good Friday. A friend at work told me that you are always suppose to plant your garden on Good Friday. I've never heard of such. Maybe I'm not a Southern Belle after all. Heaven forbid.

Here are some of my favorite pictures of Baby Girl finding Easter eggs in our mile high grass on Sunday.



Alise kinda forgot about the eggs and started picking the flowers and putting them in her basket. Go figure.

Now, Wayne has no excuse. Easter is over and our yard needs MOWING!!

14 comments:

  1. Haha! Those pics are precious:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby waits until after Easter to mow so that we can hide eggs but it never is too bad - thank goodness.
    I have never heard about planting gardens until Good Friday but in farming the old thought was to not plant soybeans/rice until after Good Friday. Maybe there is some connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be an OG thing b/c Brad won't mow until after Easter either! Have to have grass to hide the eggs in!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics are also gorgeous! Our grass is also way too high AND we did not use it for Easter eggs, so we can't use that excuse! I am reallly getting the itch to buy a new house too. I'm thinking Sterlington. Anyway, have to sell one first and that is the hard part!

    I have never heard of the grass or garden thing. Some people are just too Southern Belle for their own good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course where we come from, we often still have snow on Easter so mowing grass is moot.

    Jim says you should plant your peas on Good Friday if they are to be at their best. Though, we've never done it.

    We plant our garden on Memorial Day weekend usually. By that time, hard frosts are over.

    Jim wants to head home so he can rake the winter junk out of the lawn and get his mower ready. I say, "What????"

    I think we're going to compromise and go home the 19th. We'll see.

    Love the pics.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! I love Alise's Easter dress. I have never heard about not mowing lawns unitl after Easter, but now that you mention it our lawn service mowed for the first time yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pixs are adorable! I have to say, I've never heard of NOT mowing until after Easter but if there is such a rule, my husband made it up! In fact, he says you should mow until after Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Laura, that black and white of her looking away is beautiful. Blow it up and frame!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous black and white photos. I have mile high grass too. Glad it's not just me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with many of the others...the black and white pics are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE, LOVE the black and white pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful girl! Aren't you gettin' fancy with the black & white! Love it!

    R mows ours a week before the hunt. But I can not believe you've never heard of planting the garden on Good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, what great pictures Laura! I have to catch up on your blog, it's been awhile!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard that. Of course, it's still a little too cool to plant a garden a few weeks ago. Last year in June we fertilized our yard and had to mow every 3 days. It was insane.

    ReplyDelete