Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Smorgeboard

Congratulations to Caressa Cameron (love that name!), Miss Virginia, for winning the 2010 Miss America pageant. Alise and I watched our first pageant together as mommie and daughter Saturday night. She loved it but had lots of questions. How do you explain a beauty pageant to a 4 year old? She totally got the evening dress part, though. She had her favorites and made sure I knew which ones they were. Speaking of which, anyone that can pull off a yellow evening gown deserves to win in my book! Of course, we were disappointed that Miss Louisiana, Katherine Putman, didn't win, but she did very well and made this mommie/daughter team proud!

I was SOOOOOO disappointed that the snow and sleet storm kept me from meeting my Arkansas friends, Kelley and Leigh Ann. I was so pumped about my first blog meeting and was looking forward to getting to visit with those girlies. I am hoping we can make plans to try again soon. Check out their cute snow pics! We also missed Brooklyn's birthday party! And Alise was heart broken about that because of course, I had been talking it up all week.

It was also very cold here in Louisiana so after running an errand to Sam's - and PTL we got out of there for just $100 - we stayed inside and watched movies and enjoyed the first Saturday of Wayne being home and not at the camp! Yes! Hunting season is officially ovah!!

This week, I am going to be donning my apron again and rolling out some sugar cookies in time for the big Super Bowl game! Wayne was kind enough to order me a football and helmet cookie cutter off Ebay. I already have the horse shoe and fleur de lis cutters, so I'm hoping to decorate some cookies for the teachers at Alise's school and for my friends at work. Which team do you want to win the Super Bowl?!

I made Pioneer Woman's Comfort Meatballs last week and they were really good (The recipe is in her cookbook; I couldn't find the recipe on her blog). The only thing I would do differently next time is that I would double the sauce recipe. Even the hubs liked them!

And last put not least, I absolutely love these! Aren't they cute? And what I like most is that you can be as creative as you want! I plan on making some for Alise's teachers and coaches! I already have the paper (for another project that I was going to do). If they are anything like the bats (scroll down) I made at Halloween, they should be very easy.

14 comments:

  1. Dear Laura, Thanks for the comment at the Southern Mommas site. I am following you now, I live in WM! Nice to know you. Love your blog layout, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to leave my link: my blog is-
    http://cartoonmom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeahh Miss Virginia representin'! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen where several have made those meatballs. I must buy that cookbook soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I am feeling you on those sugar cookies! What times should I be there? haha

    I actually went to high school with Miss LA so I was bummed she didn't win either! But 3rd runner up is something to be proud of too!
    Hope you have a great week and I'll let you know when I head your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We completely missed the Miss America pageant. Bummer! I have to tell you, I'm pulling for the Colts. I had wanted the Vikings to go all the way! :(

    Now that I'm at home, I'm trying to do a new recipe every week. I'll have to visit Pioneer Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the pageant too! I am so bummed that we couldn't meet this weekend. Hopefully we can get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Laura!! So nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by and following and the wonderful comments! You are too sweet-I guess that's because you're Southern hehe! I am really enjoying reading your blog and I look forward to becoming close bloggy friends :) I sure do love Louisiana!! I'll be down at LSU for a Christian veterinary conference over Valentine's weekend. Have a blessed day :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I just read you had a January Birthday, too-so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Your hubby did a fabulous job-I LOVE the cake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sass & I quit watching when Miss GA didn't make Top 15. That's a first in quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Candy Bar Valentine's are so cute! I have been trying to think of something creative to do but nothing has grabbed my attention. I just might make these! Thanks for sharing!!!

    I stayed up extra late to watch the Miss America Pageant...I loved so many of the dresses the girls wore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, now I want some meatballs! I'm going to have to get PW's cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are really getting into the PW cooking! I love your Valentine's treats...can't wait to see what you end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sad I didn't get to see you. Maybe sometime again SOOOON!

    ReplyDelete