Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mark McGwire

Am I the only one saddened by the news that Mark McGwire abused steroids during the time that he set the World’s Record for most homeruns hit in a single season?

I don’t even like baseball. Could careless about the sport. But I remember seeing the highlights on TV of his accomplishment that summer.

I got to thinking this morning. People do stupid things to disappoint us. Or they either die before they have the chance to disappoint. And it seems that falls from human grace are happening more every day.

I wonder how the Maris family feels right now?

I wonder how Mark’s own son feels.

Is it our fault for putting people on a pedestal?

Is it our fault for wanting to truly believe in someone, to see the good in someone, or to be inspired by another person?

God reminded me that no, we’re not wrong for wanting to believe in someone. He made us with the desire to believe in the good of others and for the longing to have our personal heroes and heroines. After all, God’s hope for us, as His creation, was that we would believe in Him. I think our shortcomings and disappointments come when we put so much belief in the person, rather than the Father. Just like the Israelites when they left Eqypt, we desire this “King” in our life; someone tangible with a face and a name when all God has truly ever wanted for us was for Him to be enough.

“Some boast in chariots and some in horses, but we will boast in the name of the Lord, our God.” – Psalms 20:7.

6 comments:

  1. You are not the only one. I keep going back to this time I saw him on TV with his son and ex-wife. His son was beaming and so proud of his dad. It is a reminder to me that Christ should be our only hero, then we are never disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bothered me too! Yet it is a great reminder that Jesus should be our hero. He never lets us down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard bits and pieces of this on the radio this morning. The DJ's were saying that he said that he still would've performed just as well without the steroids and they mentioned that saying that is like a backwards apology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just plain not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen and Amen. I was disappointed too. Then, there is Tiger Woods. Jim and I have been fans of his ever since he turned pro. We watch him, root for him, and really thought he was a decent man (except for his language at times). We were both so terribly disillusioned.

    I know we should not put our trust and hope in men, but it really hurts when we are let down like that.

    Again, it is good to be reminded that Jesus is our only hope in heaven or earth.

    Thanks for the post.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete