Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy 2010!!



Whell....so much for me following in my MIL's footsteps and doing the whole "black eyed pea and cabbage" thing for New Year's Day! Hubs took out a bag of purple hull peas instead of black eyed peas from the freezer. Ugh! I couldn't help but wonder if I would be blessed with bad luck instead of good for the mix up. Oh, well. I cooked them and we ate them anyway. As for cabbage, whell. I'm just not a cabbage eating girl.

I have a confession.

I had never heard of the tradition of "eating black eyed peas and cabbage on New Year's Day" until after Wayne and I got married. Really. Actually, my MIL was the one that introduced me to the concept on New Year's Day years ago. I was surprised to learn that eating cabbage on January 1st could bring money your way in the new year and eating black eyed peas could bring you even more luck. Obviously hearing about the tradition didn't stick with me all that much because I can honestly say that in the 14 years that Hubs and I have been married, I have nevah cooked cabbage or black eyed peas on New Year's Day.

And it looks like even in my best efforts, I still won't be cooking them this year, either.

I've enjoyed reading everyone' 2009 recaps and 2010 resolutions. I've decided not to set myself up for failure and so I won't be doing the resolution thing this year. Too much pressure. But what I found amazing is that everyone's resolutions are so similar. Which tells me that no matter how "different" we all may be, we are still the same. We all want to do better and to just be an overall better person. And I think that in itself is the overall meaning of a resolution. Not that I don't want to be a better person, too. I'm just too darn lazy to sit down and think of specifics. Which defeats the purpose of being a better person, I guess. Good, Lawd!

Yesterday, mom and I took Alise and Brooklyn to see "The Princess & the Frog." The girls LOVED it! Notice the bling I've got going on! Ha! And, yes, I'm wearing another $5 scarf from Walmart. Those crazy earrings actually had rhinestones in them, but you couldn't see them in the picture. Trying to relive my youth, I guess. I can't remember the last time I wore earrings as wide as my mouth!!
Happy New Year to my babe! He looks so enthused, don't cha think? Which reminds me. There was a tweet going around yesterday about what you were doing 10 years ago and this pic of me and Wayne reminded me of a similar one we took in 1999. The only difference was that Wayne was dying in the recliner. Dying from the flu, that is. So I rang in the new millennium by myself! How sad was that?! We've come a long way, Baby, in ten years! Here's wishing for a millennium more!Happy New Year, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Had no idea I was NOT following you! Happy New Years... and may your purple hull peas give you the same luck as the black-eyed peas that I served my family tonight!

    Never heard of the cabbage thing, but collard greens are supposed to give you lots o' money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up knowing that tradition, but I don't make it either. So my mom made it today and had us over. Ha! Smells do me in rightnow and smelling cabbage cook could have sent me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some the $5 Walmart scarfs too! i have about 16 of 'em!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your scarf is so cute and oh those earrings are so my style! I've never heard of that tradition either.... I like what you said about resolutions...I don't want to set up myself for failure either. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you and your precious family! I haven't officially written down any resolutions, but I always whether it's New Years or not have resolutions for myself! My biggest one being I wish I wasn't so OCD about my home b/c it seems futile with kids! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the North, we have a tradition of pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. Myself, no sauerkraut. I did cook it for Jim yesterday. I just ate the pork and mashed potatoes. Don't know if the luck will be good or bad, but I'll take what God gives me and try to be grateful.

    Love your pics. I'm a bling girl myself, scarves too. I'm with ya, girl.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy new year!

    ReplyDelete