Monday, January 04, 2010

Books & Tiaras

Alise checked this book out from the library this past weekend and I read it to her for the first time last night. We both laughed our heads off!! I think I laughed more at Alise because she was cracking up so hard. It really is a cute book by Laura Numeroff and I know there are other versions. I'm sure we'll be checking those out soon, because Alise is one of those that once she finds a series of books she likes, she has to read them all a thousand times. For instance, the Froggy books by Jonathan London. We've read all of those lots of times and they are so good, too. What are some of your favorite children's books to read to your little ones?

I saw this book in Target and remembered that Danielle had given it a thumbs up so I decided to check it out from our library as well. However, I'm having to wait for it to come from another branch so hopefully it will be here in a few days. I have a thing about buying books. I'm always worried I'm going to be stuck with a dud so I just use the convenience of our library. I also like taking Alise with me because I'm hoping that my love for reading will become hers, too.

Our 15 year anniversary is coming up in April and Wayne asked me a few weeks ago where I would like to go to celebrate. I would LOVE for him to take me back to New York, but he absolutely has no interest in going (Crazy, I know!). He also doesn't want to do a cruise (Something about being around water. WTHeck?) So last night, I was reading in the January issue of Southern Living about the Princess Diana Exhibit that is in Atlanta through June of this year. I would LOVE to go to this! I admired Princess Diana and I remember watching her wedding on national TV as a little girl and thinking, "Wow! A real, live princess!" I also got up at 3AM on a Saturday in September to watch her funeral and I just cried. So to see the actual tiara and wedding dress of a real princess would just be awesome in my book!! Wayne....? Not so much. We'll see.

I nearly decided to title this post, "Snow Day" since it actually snowed this morning, but it wasn't enough to accumulate or cancel school. Alise was excited to see some flakes when I walked her into her classroom.

And as far as it being hard to get back into the routine of things again, the worst thing was having Alise complain about the sweet, smocked, snowman dress that I "made" her wear to school. She kept trying to tell me, "Mommy, Christmas is over! I'm not suppose to be wearing snowmen!" Ugh!! We made it to school on time and I was able to take a picture of her but she wouldn't really cooperate. Her teacher and best friend are in Disney this week, so I'm afraid that Alise will feel a little "lost," but I will try to make it up to her in the evenings since it's just me and her this week...all alone....a widow and orphan...while my husband and her daddy is off hunting at the camp...AGAIN!!!

15 comments:

  1. Laura Numeroff is awesome we have several of the "pig" & "moose a muffin". You will love What Mommies/Daddies Do Best. And the g-parent version. I highly recommend!

    I remember exactly where I was when I heard about Di's death. I'll have to check my SL again for that exhibit. I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also seen emails titled "If you give a mom a muffin"! I'll try to find that and post!

    Love twittering with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would L-O-V-E to go to Princess Di's exhibit! Since the in laws live right outside of Atlanta I might just have to go. I was like you - look a real life Princess! I have a collectors addition of Time magazine after she passed away.

    But you see I have a love/hate relationship with Princess Di. I adored her to the point that in high school my mom let me cut my hair like hers and dye it. It was tragic and it lasted for almost 2 years (freshman and sophomore years!) And the pictures , , , I tried to destroy all of them. What was I thinking?

    Cant wait to see where yall decide to go for your anniversary trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On that adult book you are waiting to start, I don't know! I read that and can't really recommend it. I have a rule about finishing all books that I start, but I almost broke that rule with this book. Losing one of my babies has to be my biggest fear, and that book made it all so real. Good luck and get you kleenex supply before it comes in!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always get books from the library...I just hate to spend money on a book when I can read it for free. Unless of course it's a book that I just to have, like the Twilight books or anything by Jodi Picoult.

    I love the If you Give a Mouse a Cookie series and so do my kids. Cole's really into the What do Dinosaurs eat (it's a whole series).

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book you are waiting for is unreal! So good and scary at the same time! I think the ATL trip sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Laura Numeroff books. I think we've read just about all of them. I bought Katie "If you give a cat a cupcake." I think we've about read all of the froggy books as well & own one. Have you read the "Bear . . ." books by Karma Wilson? I love them! Nothing is as funny as "Skippyjon Jones." They are a must read. So funny! Katie loves it when I make all the sounds myself. I would have to say her favorite is "The Nutcracker" and "The Polar Express," but of course she doesn't love the "Angelina Ballerina" books as well. There are just so many that she loves that it's hard to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the Amelia Badelia books when I was younger. If You Give a Moose a Muffin is another in the series you posted. I also had the Little Critter books, Berenstein Bears, and Clifford.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Year of Fog is fantastic. One of my favorite books that I read last year

    ReplyDelete
  10. I havent done very well at the library lately, keep picking bad books. UGH!

    The boys loved the Numeroff books and the skippyjon jones books! You should hear Brad read them!! We all are in the floor rolling...

    If Wayne-o won't take you to Atlanta, we should go! I can dream, can't I? Still think he should take you to NY! That was just the BEST trip ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Laura Numeroff books. This year the Kohl's stores were selling both the books and a stuffed animal to go with them for $5 each. I bought two pigs and the corresponding book "If You Give a Pig a Pancake". They made great, rather inexpensive Christmas gifts.

    The Atlanta trip sounds good. I've never understood how Charles could treat her so shabbily. Haven't liked him since then. She is the only thing that made him seem human to me -- guess I was fooled.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you like the book! We have read a few of the books by Laura Numeroff and Carter just loves them. They are so silly and he just laughs and laughs. We both love the Bernstein Bear books as well. I remember reading them as a little girl and am so glad that Carter loves them too!

    Seeing the Princess Diana exhibit woudl be amazing. I still remember right where I was when the news broke about the car wreck. I was so sad and just couldn't take my eyes off the television. It was so tragic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love those "If You Give . . ." books and have them all! Our favorite children's books right now are American Girl, Junie B. Jones, Magic Tree House or as my 7 year old says - All, Mom! I can't decide!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We'll have to check out that book! We've never read it. Happy early anniversary!! How funny!...my husband doesn't have the interest to do a cruise either....WTheck?? is right! I hope you get to find something to do that is fun for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My boys love that series of books!! I will have to check out that book "The Year of Fog"!

    ReplyDelete