Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Parent-Teacher Conference

I had my first parent-teacher conference with Ms. L yesterday morning. Wayne couldn’t come because of course, it’s his busy season, but I’m use to flying solo on these kinds of things because normally, he can’t make them anyway.

Let me just say what a relief it is to hear that I have a well behaved, “sweet” and “smart” little girl as far as school goes. Of course, I’ve always heard that children act better when their parents aren’t around, but I know that Alise has her moments and two things that we are trying to teach her are to mind her manners and be respectful of those in authority. Alise really is a good little girl and I am very proud of her.

I decided to scan Alise’s progress report so that you can see it (Nana). She got S’s in all areas except 2 but she is “progressing” in those. Ms. L says that she gets a little stumped with recognizing her numbers once she hits double digits. I was really surprised to hear this because I hadn’t noticed it in the practice we do at home. She missed recognizing the number 10 and 12. She also missed recognizing letters W and U – which I find hard to believe since she is constantly spelling and writing her Daddy’s name. She missed the shape of the square for crying out loud!! Ms. L said that she even came back to it at the end of testing and Alise was still calling it a “rectangle.”

Ms. L said that she is very impressed that Alise is beginning to sound out words and really catching on to the “at” and “og” word families. She also said that she thinks that Alise will be strong in math because she is already beginning to “get it” and Ms. L gave some examples of how she is already using addition and subtractions skills in class (She said she wanted to put a “P” in that category, but that was a concept she had not begun to teach yet).

All in all, I think the conference went really well. I am very pleased with her progress, her teacher and school.

I'll be back later today to post pictures from Alise's class Christmas party.

6 comments:

  1. Great start to the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I'm jealous of that report though as I only got shown some notes on a piece of paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I'm jealous of that report though as I only got shown some notes on a piece of paper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for good report cards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Alise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Alise!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete