Saturday, December 12, 2009

Just Call Me Betty Crocker - With A Thermometer

My house has smelled awesome all weekend because I've been busy baking. The only break I took was long enough to take Alise to a classmate's birthday party and to watch Mark Ingram win the Heisman Saturday night.

Whew! I am exhausted.

Reese peanut butter tassies, another batch of red velvet cake balls (and here's to hoping I don't eat each and everyone of them again all by myself!), pretzels and M&M's dipped in almond bark, reindeer cookies, sugar cookies, fudge, cupcakes, punch, and Muddy Buddies. I uploaded a few pics on Twitter, but I won't bore you with them here.

Marie-Etta and I are in the midst of a friendly argument regarding whether or not to use a cooking thermometer when making Fantasy Fudge (recipe on the back of the marshmallow cream jar). Marie-Etta says you don't have to. I - however - am a stickler to rules and directions and I say yes to the thermometer. What do you think? Does anyone besides me and Marie-Etta make Fantasy Fudge?

The Christmas parties are starting this week. Alise's class party is Tuesday so I made the sugar cookies, cupcakes and punch for her. My office party is Tuesday, also, so I made an assorted sweet tray to take and because I can't do for one without doing for the other, Wayne gets to carry everything else to work with him. I gotta take care of my UPS guys this time of year! Make sure you take care of those men, too, that are busy this time of year delivering your babies' packages. They work so hard and are extra special, too! I love it when Wayne comes home with goodies from the clients on his route. It makes me feel good that someone went out of their way to say "thank you" to my man because I know how tired he is when he comes home at night during Christmas time.

Speaking of Wayne, I need to brag on him a little. He had Alise all to himself this weekend while I did my baking! Kudos to the Hubby! I actually got nearly the entire day all to myself and didn't have to say a word to anyone! The phone didn't ring. I had the lights on the Christmas tree twinkling and Christmas music playing from the satelite. It was great! So what did Wayne and Alise do? They went to a local hunting and sporting goods store and Wayne bought Alise her first pair of camoflauge coveralls. Without me. I am so proud of him! He also managed to pick up a present for the birthday party AND buy a bag that it would fit in AND remember the tissue paper. Woohoo! Someone is training my hubby right, don't cha think?

Oh! And a word to family: I am not sending Christmas cards this year! So don't be offended if you don't get one from us. I simply waited too late and never got a picture of Alise that I liked well enough to grace our card. So don't be talking bad about me!

5 comments:

  1. I went in the kitchen and read the back of my marshmallow creme jar. It says you can do it either way. So we can both be right. :0) I think it just depends on how you were taught to make it. My mom never used a thermometer and she taught me how to make it. I don't even own a candy thermometer! :P I'm sure your fudge is lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Share about the reindeer cookies & muddy buddies.

    I did do cards, but they are still waiting to be mailed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOH, would I love to be your neighbor with all of the baking you've done this weekend! Yum!! Sounds like a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fudge sounds so good! I am going to start baking after this week is over. We have so much going on this week too. If we get through this week, we are home free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go, cookie lady. What a fun day you had. Can you believe Jim did ALL our baking this year as I was pretty tied up with my friend, Shelly.

    AND, I'm not sending cards this year either. I always make my cards and I couldn't find a pattern that appealed to me. Plus, with Shelly and Bruce, I just don't have time. I am, however, planning to send a valentine to everyone on my Christmas card list.

    Have a great week.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete