Monday, December 28, 2009

Devil's Food Cake


Okay. So alot of you have asked about the infamous chocolate cake that I like to make for special occasions. Actually, I found this recipe years ago courtesy of Woman's Day magazine and it started out as a pokeno tradition. Our little group knew that if pokeno was at my house, then this chocolate cake was a guarantee for dessert...complete with vanilla ice cream. I miss my pokeno girls!

Cake:
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/3 c. boiling water
2 1/3 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. oil
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 T. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Frosting:
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
3 c. confectioners sugar
6 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate melted & cooled
About 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray pans with Pam and line bottoms with wax paper. Put cocoa powder and boiling water in medium bowl; stir until smooth. When cool, add next 4 ingredients. Beat with mixer on medium speed until blended. On low speed, add flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat until smooth (batter is thin). Pour into pans. Bake 45-55 minutes until pick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Run knife around edges, invert on cooling rack, peel off paper and cool completely.

Frosting: Beat butter and vanilla in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in 1/2 c. of sugar, then chocolate. Alternate beating in remaining sugar and 1/2 c. cream. Increase speed to medium; beat, adding more cream if needed, until spreadable. Spread 1 c. of frosting between layers and complete cake.

This cake is de-vine! Enjoy!

P.S. And, yeah, that's Alise's headband on the counter. I don't normally make a habit of taking pictures of food with headbands in them nor do I cook with headbands in my kitchen. What probably happened was that I told her to put it up and instead of taking it to her room, she put it on the kitchen counter. Four year olds!

5 comments:

  1. The cake looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. devils food is my husband's favorite and i don't make it enough...maybe this will be his new year's treat. I'm dying to know...what is pokeno?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have noticed that headband if you hadn't of pointed it out. Who is looking at that with that big chocolate cake that looks delish? I had to go back to the pic to see what you were talking about. haha!

    ReplyDelete