Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Biscuits With Goop!

I promise I'm not trying to do the whole Julie & Julia thing (BTW, if you haven't seen the movie, I would suggest renting it. I really liked it!) and I apologize that it might seem that my blog has turned into the great FOOD blog, but I promise I will be back to posting about our lives and various other things soon. Very soon. However...

I tried my first Pioneer Woman recipe last night from her cookbook that Leigh gave me for Christmas and I just HAD to post about it here! I tried PW's "Buttermilk Biscuits" (page 44) and they turned out GREAT! I halved the recipe and it STILL turned out GREAT!

Can you believe that me and the hubs have been married for nearly 15 years and I have NEVER made homemade biscuits for him? It's either whop can biscuits or none at all in our house. Ha! So when he text me to say he was on his way home, I text (and let me just interrupt here to ask is it "text" or "texted"? I'm so confused!!) him back and said, "Got buttermilk biscuits waiting on you." He said, "Kewl," as in, "Uh? Not sure I wanna try them." He was as surprised as I was! ME! Buttermilk Biscuits! Who knew?!

Two more little snippets of information: One, I had to borrow my mom's biscuit cutter. Yeah, she had one, but I can't remember - for the life of me - her evah making homemade biscuits. Oh, well, the thing worked. I do need to work on my form a little bit. And thank goodness I was watching them rise and bake because obviously my oven cooks faster than Pioneer Woman's. Must be a city thang.

Two, I had to go to the store to get THIS!!!! Am I the only person in the baking world that does NOT have shortening in her house?! I nevah, evah use shortening. I just picture that big ol' can of goop just clogging peoples' arteries up and I want to gag. So, needless to say, I didn't buy brand name, either. Yeah, I saw the big "Crisco" tub on the shelf, but when I saw the price, I decided to buy generic. Goop costs nearly $6 bucks!! That shows how much confidence I had in myself pulling off PW's buttermilk biscuits. But let me say, it CAN be done! Cheap or expensive shortening. I mean goop.

Do you have Pioneer Woman's cookbook? If so, what recipes have you tried? Which are your favorites?

And while we're at it, what in the heck do you cook in your house with shortening?! I really wanna know!

16 comments:

  1. I don't have any shortening either! But those biscuits look yum-my! So does that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those biscuits do look delish!
    ha and I think it's "texted"

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look awesome! I want PW's cookbook badly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look so good! I have got to buy that cookbook! I don't have shortening either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goop is a standard ingredient in Mississippi cooking I've decided, because we do have it in our house and I gained about 50 pounds in the first six months I was here-no lie! I don't do the cooking in my house, buy my hubby uses it for his homemade biscuits. Your's look pretty scrummy though!

    Oh, and I think it's texted. But I couldn't be 100% for sure on that!

    You are the second blog in a row I've clicked on to be talking about PW's cookbook. I just don't get into her for some reason. I might not should have just admitted that! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those biscuits look perfect to me. No shortening in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up with Always Save products! That, and Best Choice.

    Don't some people fry things in Crisco? I think it's in things like pie crust..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got PW's cookbook for Xmas--LOVE her! I have a small can of Crisco in my pantry that I use only to make my Grandmother's chicken and dumplings and pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hungry just looking at that...but it might also be b/c I never ate breakfast haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got right to town on making some recipes! I have to admit that I have not tried a single one yet...but I will!

    I am glad you mentioned a biscuit cutter because I was wondering how in the world you got them to look like biscuits...I thought they would need to be dropped like cookies or something. I am sure that you can tell but I have never made homemade biscuits before. Ha!

    I do not have shortening in the house either. I wonder what else you use shortening to make?

    ReplyDelete
  11. CARRIE8:42 PM

    They look good! i buy the frozen Pillsbury ones and my family thinks that I've been "baking".
    Try them - they taste like Crackel Barrel and they take 10 minutes to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Laura!!

    I am wanting to buy that recipe book. I make her sheet cake quite often...it is so good! Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, those look super good!!! The only thing I use shortening in is homemade buttercream frosting. I go all out when making that because if I'm gonna have cake, I'm gonna go all the way...calories, fat and all.

    I don't have PW's cookbook but I have tried a few recipes from her site that were delicious...the Marlboro Man's favorite sandwich (Tim LOVED it) and her apple dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want her cook book so bad!!!! I never use shortening either...the biscuits looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those biscuits are making me hungry! I can't wait to see what else you make from the Pioneer Woman cookbook...I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy it. Quite a few baking recipes call for shortening. I just used some the other day when making candy. A tub lasts me forever though...I've never thought to check and see if it has an expiration date. Surely goop never goes bad, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. where have i been? I never heard of the PW until about a month ago..on other blogs. I am so very out of touch;)--but i am going to check her and her book out asap
    okay...so i don't use goop...i go with something much worse. I actually use lard....yes lard. i get it really cheap and it makes the best biscuits and pie crusts.

    ReplyDelete