Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Welcome Home, Leigh!!

Let me tell you about my best friend.

She is a-mazing!

The most self-less person I have ever met!In August, Leigh's MIL had a stroke on the interstate shortly after leaving town to visit her daughter and see the play, "Wicked." Her MIL was able to make it to a local Walmart and the security guard was able to offer assistance. She was rushed to a hospital and later transported to another hospital 90 miles away for several weeks. Then, she was transferred back to a hospital in our city and was placed on long term care. MIL was trached and put on a ventilator.
There were weeks when things just didn't look well. I lifted my BFF and her family up in prayer and made casseroles whenever I could {they're probably sick of my lasagna-ha!}. But it absolutely broke my heart to see my best friend and her family go through this. I really felt helpless.

Leigh never lost faith. Did I tell you that she is the strongest person I know? The epitome of a true Southern Belle. Not so much in the "Scarlett O'Hara" way, but more like a "Melanie." She preserveres. And besides, Leigh would never be caught wearing a red dress! Ha! Leigh bore the brunt of the incident by leaving her job to take care of her MIL. She missed her children's ball games and other activities to be the primary care giver and hardly ever left her MIL's side.

Eventually, MIL began to improve and she was transferred - yet again - in a pink ambulance - Leigh has pictures to prove it - to a rehab facility in southern Louisiana. Both Leigh and her MIL have been there for six weeks. And today....they are coming HOME!!

Leigh taught me what the Ruth and Naomi story in the Bible is all about. Have you ever read it? It's a story in the Old Testament about a widow and her daughter-in-law. Naomi, the widowed mother-in-law decides to return to her home land and Ruth, who has lost her own husband, decides to go with her. Ruth decides to leave her own home land, her own comfort zone, and go with her mother-in-law. Maybe you've heard this verse in a wedding ceremony, "...Where you go, I will go and where you stay, I will stay" (Ruth 1:16).

I can't think of a better person to live out those verses. Leigh is such a great example of self-less love and devotion. She makes me want to be a better person.

I love you, Leigh!

Welcome Home!!

P.S. I promise to post updated pics of me and Leigh soon! We have been dieting and we look FABULOUS!!!

6 comments:

  1. I only know you through our blogs, but you are such an amazing mother, friend, wife, Christian, ... You truly inspire me with your faith and positive attitude. I really think the Lord knew that I "needed" you and your blog. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post Laura! It is so sweet, thoughtful, positive, and such a reminder of how we all should be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful and selfless person Leigh is. I'm happy to hear that her MIL is doing well and that Leigh will be home to spend the holidays with her family and her BFF. If you girls make that wreath together post a picture, okay?

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Laura, I'm in tears!! I just now turned on my computer...I don't know what to say, but thank you! And thank God that she is a living testimony to what a miracle truly is. I'm just speechless.

    Thanks for being such an awesome friend to me during all of this. The boys and Brad LOVED your lasagna!! Jake thinks it's the best!!

    You're the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post...it's a great reminder of how our thoughtfulness and generosity can affect others (in a good way, of course).

    ReplyDelete