Tuesday, November 17, 2009

School News

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Alise’s school?

Two reasons.

I found out in our mom’s club this week that there was some controversy regarding our upcoming Christmas program (Prek-4 was not included). Apparently, the title of the program was “Santa Goes Green” and some of the lyrics to the songs had more to do with saving the ozone layer and oil shortages than Christmas. Some of the parents got together and went to the principal and the decision was made to forego the Christmas program this year. Two things: I applaud the parents for standing up for their beliefs because if Alise had been in that age group, I would have been one of the parents asking for a “re do” in Christmas program selections, too. I’m all about saving the earth, but there is a time and place for everything and I believe Christmas time is the time for Christmas songs and not necessarily about “going green.” Our private school is not a religious school so I can understand that there will be secular songs sung. But what kid wants to sing about the ozone layer when they can sing about Santa and Rudolph instead? Lastly, I say kudos to our principal and head master for listening to the parents – not that our school is run by the parents because it isn’t and as far as I know this was not an “ugly ordeal.” But I think both groups totally sided with what was best for the children and I’ve seen this in other areas, too, and it makes me glad to be associated with such a fine school.

Reason #2: Our varsity football team is in the playoffs. Last Friday night, we had a home game against another team that I-have-no-idea-where-they-are-from. Yesterday, a lady from the opposing team called our school to tell us how much she enjoyed the hospitality that our school gave them on Friday night. That made me smile. We’ve only been to one football game this year (and that’s only because the season was so wet) but let me tell you, it was an eye opener! Everyone was so nice and said, “Hello,” there was no foul language (that I heard, anyway) or rude remarks about the opposing team, the stadium and grounds were nice and clean, there were kids running around all behind the stadium playing tag….it was just a clean, family atmosphere...just totally different than from what I had ever experienced at a high school football game. And it made me feel good that someone took time out of their day to call and say, “thank you.”

I have been a very busy room mother! Due to some crazy mishaps with our Halloween party – which I cannot divulge here – I have officially been passed the baton of “Christmas Party Organizer.” And let me just say that I have been planning and organizing!! I have already spent a small fortune for this party – as much as buying things while we were in Alabama a few weeks ago! Our theme is “The Sweet Joys of Christmas” and everything is pertaining to gingerbread men (and girls). We are decorating the classroom door to look like the door of a gingerbread house, complete with real gumdrops, candy canes and lollipops. On party day, we’ll be decorating sugar cookies in the shape of gingerbread and we might even have a visit from Ms. Claus herself!! The kids are gonna love it!!

I also found out this week that Alise’s class aid will be leaving. Ms. M’s last day is this Friday. Ms. L said that they told the children last week (of course, Alise didn’t tell me anything…) and that they were trying to keep it positive for the children. Since the class letter this week is the letter M, Ms. L has declared this week as “Ms. M Week” and we are to show her how much we love and appreciate her. Any ideas?

And last but not least, tomorrow is Thanksgiving Feast Day at Alise’s school. I can’t believe I’m going to be eating turkey and dressing at 10:45 in the morning! Blah!! Anyway, Baby Girl supposedly has a solo in the program tomorrow. She gets to sing AND ring the bells! Woo-hoo! She is so excited about it and I hope she does well. I promise to have pictures and video up by Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. Alise's school sounds like a great one. It sounds like they have so many activities and really encourage parents to participate. I can't wait until Carter is in school for all of the fun things he will get to do!

    The Christmas party is in great hands. The kids will absolutely LOVE it! Take some pics of the door for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'alls school sounds sooo much like ours! I am proud advertise our school on our clothes & our cars.

    Santa goes green? Whose idea was that?

    Our feast is Thursday, but we're having chick-fil-a nuggets, fruit & veggie trays, cheese & crackers & dinner rolls?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alise's school sounds great. Santa goes green does not. They won't even let us come to the feast at Pinkie's school. Please take pics of the Christmas party. (I can't attend that one either, no parents can, and it is a "Holiday" party--can't say Christmas here!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alise's school sounds wonderful! You are awesome to take on such a job as Christmas party organizer. That is a lot of work. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great school!! And you are the PERFECT person to plan Alise's Classroom party!! Could you come up here and do one for the boys too? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For Miss M, why don't you do a goody bag or basket with things that start with M? Like M &M's, gift card to McDonalds or Muffin Tin, mullberry candles, etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like lots of fun to me. What a wonderful school. It's a real blessing to have her in such a good place.

    Have fun eating your tur-breakfast.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete