Saturday, November 14, 2009

Please Don't Shoot Bambi

Normally, when I wake Alise up in the morning, we spend a few moments snuggling in her bed. We pull the covers way up to our noses and I put my arms around her and we gab about all kinds of silliness and play ticklish games. If Baby Girl doesn’t get her morning snuggles, it’s heck to pay, so I make darn sure there is plenty of snuggle time even if it means I have to go without washing my hair that day!

So Friday morning was no different as we laid in her bed and talked about how she was going to the hunting camp with her daddy that evening – pure silly talk in my book.

Alise said, “I’m going to see a buck!” To which I was very surprised, because we haven’t talked to her about proper names for sexes of animals. But since she seemed so smart, I decided that Friday morning was the opportune time to talk about "deer sex." {Don't hyperventilate on me here}

I said, “A daddy deer is called a buck and a moma deer is called a doe.”

She asked, “What is a baby deer called?”

“Bambi.”

“Bambi,” she repeated with an exhilarating grin.

Later, when I told Wayne about our conversation, he said, “You did not.”

I said, “Oh, yes, I did, Buddy!” to which he countered with a story from the night before. As he was putting Alise to bed, she told him, “Daddy, I don’t know how to shoot a deer.”

Will someone pass the klennex?

Now, just so ya know, Wayne and I have not properly talked – aka a very “detailed discussion” – about Alise, going to the camp, holding a gun, and shooting a deer. About as far as we got was the whole “going to the camp” idea. I personally think that she is ENTIRELY too young to be shooting a deer so when Wayne picked me up and took me to lunch on Friday – aka “bribing” – we had a very heated discussion over spinach artichoke dip regarding our four year old daughter and guns.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m all for Alise enjoying the wonderful wooded landscape and roaming animals with her Daddy. Lord KNOWS I would love some weekends all to myself. Wayne and I compromised on pink camoflage the day she was born. I even let him spend money on designing her very own deer stand – complete with hand rails and windows, so there’s no problem with her taking up her Daddy’s favorite pastime. The problem is that I don’t want my four year old shooting a gun. I asked Wayne what if the gun kicked and left her with a black eye? Do you know what he told me? He said, “Oh, that won’t be a problem! I’ve bought her a tripod to put the gun on so she doesn’t have to hold it. Look, don’t you worry about it. This is between me and Alise.”

That’s what I was afraid of!

Whell, they made it home deer-less, thank goodness! Alise told me that she counted 28 ladybugs in her deer stand - don't know what's up with that...I thought they would have been carried off by mosquitoes instead of ladybugs! I asked if they even saw any deer and Wayne gave me "the look" as if to say, "What do you think?" He said somebody couldn't be still and liked to run her mouth!

And there I was thinking she was actually gonna shoot a gun! I should have known her mouth would keep her from it.

Here is a pic of Alise before she left Friday night to go with her daddy. It looks like she already has a black eye, but she really doesn't. Must be the lighting.
Alise got to hang out with her hunting buddy, J.C. I think she had a blast because when she got home, she was FILTHY!!! I'm glad she had fun, though.

7 comments:

  1. Okay, so 4 may be a little young to be shooting guns, but I think it's a great time for her to be learning about that. If she's going to be daddy's little hunting buddy, it's good that she's going out with him and (hopefully) learning about being quiet. Plus, you know that W will teach her to be safe with guns. It's always better to have a healthy respect for firearms at any age.

    Plus, deer meat is so yummy! Let her shoot away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all for going to "look" for a deer, but I don't know about shooting them at four years old! Ha! My Dad took me coon hunting when I was little up until I was in the 5th grade. It was something fun we could do together, but I never got to shoot or hold the gun. I guess there weren't gadgets when we were hunting back then like tripods. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bonding time for Daddy and daughter. So glad she enjoys it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the cutest little hunter I've ever seen. But I am glad that my hubby's favorite past time is golf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm terrified of guns not looking forward to the day Averys daddy or uncle decides she needs to shoot one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just loving Alise's pink Camo,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like Wayne and Alise had some great bonding time and you some free time! I would have pitched a fit if Josh was going to let Carter shoot a gun. That is so funny that Alise scared off the deer!

    ReplyDelete