Thursday, November 12, 2009

Congrats, Taylor!!

Alise and I love Taylor Swift.

And I could stop right there.

But I won’t.

On my way to pick up Alise from gymnastics yesterday, I remembered that the CMA awards were coming on later, so I immediately called Wayne to tell him to record it for us since I knew we wouldn’t get to see all of it due to Alise’s choir practice at church. By the time we got home, we had already missed 45 minutes of the show. Doug had even called Wayne to tell him that Taylor was prancing all around the stage. That’s our Alabama cousin! He didn’t want us to miss it!

So I struck up a deal with my four year old and told her that if she hurried and got a bath and got ready for bed, I would let her stay up and watch Taylor’s second performance. Alise set a record for herself and was out of the bath tub in two minutes flat, all snuggly on the couch with her pillow and blanket. The child didn’t move.

Whell…we waited and waited and if I had a dollar for every time I was asked, “Mommie, when is Taylor Swift gonna come on?” I’d have me a glittery guitar, too!!

I finally caved and decided to detox in the bathtub and read a magazine.

All of a sudden, I heard a scream from the living room – above the heater going in the bathroom because you know I have the heater going whether it’s 30 below or 100 degrees outside – “MOOOOOOmmie!!! Taylor Swift is on!!!!!!” Not just Taylor. Taylor Swift, people.

Whell, since I knew Wayne had the whole thing tivoed, I decided my warm bath was better so I stayed put and missed, “Taylor Swift was wearing a purple dress, Mommie. That’s your favorite color, Mommie. And, Mommie, she was playing a guitar. And she was right in the middle of all the people. And they were singing with her, too, Mommie” all without taking a single breath! So…..we had to rewind so that I could see it. And so that Alise could make SURE that I saw it.

After that, I told her it was bed time. And I just knew that my four year old was off to bed, having sweet dreams about Taylor Swift. And Zack and Cody.

Or so I thought.

When the announcement was made that Taylor had won Entertainer of the Year, I immediately heard the pitter-patter of feet! Alise came running into the living room and made a b-line straight in front of the TV. She raised her arms high in the air – in cheerleader fashion - and screamed, “TAYLOR SWIFT WON!!! TAYLOR SWIFT WON!!” Of course, she had no idea exactly what Taylor had won, but her idol had and that’s all that mattered in her tiny world.

I was so overwhelmed with Alise’s excitement that I took her in my arms and we cuddled on the couch together. We watched the whole scene about 50 bazillion times. We talked about her dress and her hair. About her makeup and how tall she was. I had to explain why Taylor’s daddy was crying (I assumed that was her dad) and who all those people were on stage with her and why they were there. I felt like I was watching TV with my best friend instead of my four year old (And I was mentally kicking myself for not driving the 4.5 hours to Little Rock a few months ago to see her in concert)! We gabbed and gabbed. I’d say something like, “Taylor is so pretty,” and Alise would come back, “Oh, Mommie, she’s so beautiful!”

FINALLY it was bed time and my little Taylor-lover slept with me. Wayne got the couch.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I saw that Taylor had tweeted, “Just wrapped up a cereal party with my mom and dad at the kitchen table. What a night.”

I’m looking forward to some cereal parties, myself in a few years!

7 comments:

  1. How cute is that! I love Taylor Swift and I was so excited for her that she did so well! She seems to be so down to earth and such an honest and sincere person. I let Carter stay up a bit late too, not because he wanted to watch the CMA's but I wanted to! He was playing cars in his bedroom and I was enjoying my tv time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *HEART* Taylor Swift!!!!! I missed the CMAs but it sounds like it was a great show! What a wonderful mommy/daughter bonding night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! AJ stayed up and watched her too! He said he wanted her to be his girlfriend. Then he saw Carrie Underwood and changed his mind. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Taylor too. She is such a good role model for our young girls. And talented. and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alise is precious! It was so cute reading about her excitement over Taylor. I missed the awards show. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww that is just precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that was her daddy. Mr. PG&S had the pleasure of meeting TS several years back before she hit "the big time." He had her perform at a one get together for his employees and she impressed him even them. He came home from the meeting with her autograph and just raved on her. My girls love her too and so do I! She is a true-life doll. The end.

    ReplyDelete