Thursday, September 17, 2009

Random Thursdays - Celebrity Edition

In the last week, I have become the biggest Taylor Swift fan evah!! It all started when an employee went to her concert last Thursday night in Shreveport and brought Baby Girl a t-shirt {Alise was SO excited that she wore it to bed Friday night!}. So imagine my surprise when I was listening to the radio on the way to work Monday morning and heard that some i-d-i-o-t had dissed my girl at the VMA Awards {I’m not even sure what VMA stands for and I’m not accustomed to watching awards shows!}! I went home and found the little outburst on You Tube. Did you see it? And two thumbs up to Beyonce for her kindness and allowing Taylor her due.

I was saddened to hear about the passing of Patrick Swayze. What is your favorite Swayze movie? As long as I live, I will never forget, “Nobody puts Baby in a corner.” I think I might take the plastic off my Dirty Dancing DVD {finally} and watch it this weekend.

Did you get the chance to watch Oprah’s season premiere interview with Whitney Houston on Monday & Tuesday? If so, what did you think? I came away with mixed emotions on Monday (I have yet to watch Tuesday's interview). You have to understand, I was a HUGE Whitney fan in the ‘80’s. “The Greatest Love of All” still gives me chills. There is no denying that the woman can belt ‘em out, but I was saddened to hear what Oprah called “the voice” has become raspy and aged with poor decisions. I felt cheated to know that the hair, makeup, and gowns “was my [form of] entertainment.” Say what? Either you’re Whitney Houston or you’re not. But I think the most inspirational moment for me – even through the admission of drugs and stories of a turbulent marriage and the crazy lifestyle – was when moma {Cissy Houston} came knocking with the sheriffs and “wanted her daughter back.” Oh, how far we mothers are willing to go to rescue our daughters! My hope is that Whitney truly has found her “joy” and “peace that passes all understanding” again. You can read the interview here.

Back in the real world....Homecoming at Alise’s school is tomorrow and we are planning on going to the football game. I am so excited because I love football and it will be the very first time we have ever attended a game together as a family. Because she is in the Big Sis program at school, she will get to cheer with the cheerleaders on the field before the game. She is so excited about that so watch for video clips next week.

I also promise to share my latest "brown-nosing" - as Wayne likes to put it - idea next week.

Have a fun weekend!

11 comments:

  1. The VMA are video music awards I think? I am not 100% certain. However, I can not believe what happened. I can say I am proud of Taylor however horrified acted like a lady throughout the entire show despite the rude behavior of Kanye. Also, I have a whole new respect for Beyonce. Just shows the type of woman she is.

    I will forever love Dirty Dancing. Just a little trivia for you, did you know his wife was in that movie? At the end when he is dancing to baby at the resort goodbye ceremony, you can see her belting our a loud enthusiastic scream for him in a blue dress with black polka dots. He was one of my childhood heart throbs.

    I have yet to view the Whitney. It is hard for Mamas to view their shows with little ones running around, but I am interested in seeing it once I get a chance on my DVR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popping over from Brooke's!

    I think Kayne is such a dirt bag. I was glad that Jay Leno made him cry by asking him what he dead mom would think about how he acted!

    I was sad about Patrick Swayze too. I think I have watched Dirty Dancing over 100 times in my life. I was thinking of having a little movie marathon thisweekend of Dirty Dancing, Ghost and Road House!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor Swift has handled herself so well with all of this. I can't imagine being a teenager and reacting to something like that with such pose and elegance. And yes, Beyonce was beyond classy!

    I was love in Dirty Dancing! I listened to that soundtrack over and over and over in my room as a teenager. I always imagined he would come and personally sing me "She's Like the Wind".

    And I tried to watch the Oprah with Whitney, but for some reason had no desire to finish watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homecoming! I miss going to Mizzou's homecoming games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not believe what that jerk, Kanye, did to sweet Taylor. I couldn't stand him before and now I just cringe at the sight of him. What a 1st Class JERK!

    Dirty Dancing will always be one of my favorite movies. I think I have most of the words memorized and still love jamming out to the soundtrack in my car.

    Have fun at Homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stop...HOMECOMING. Boy, kids are growing up fast. I too loved Dirty Dancing and also the movie Ghost which made me cry. The cool thing about Patrick is his long marriage it really is an accomplishment in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, didn't watch the VMAs live, but saw it on You Tube, and Kanye is a bratty spoiled celebrity who should definitely be taken down a notch...or 10! I tried to watch the Whitney interview..but didn't care enough and couldn't pay attention with someone pointing at the tv and begging for barney...had to just turn the thing off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree more. I am a bigger Taylor Swift fan. I think Beyonce showed a lot of class having Taylor take her time on stage. I was sad to hear Whitney's story. I was also sad about Patrick Swayze's death. It has really been a week for celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having a Patrick Swayze marathon this weekend w/ Dirty Dancing and Ghost. 2 of my all time favorite movies!!! I saw the Whitney interview. I love how inspirational her story is. She came back from a bad situation. I LOVE all of the Whitney songs from back in the day. I can't wait to see your new brown nosing idea,lol! I keep them in a file to use for myself, ha ha!! Have fun at your football game! Kevin is slowly teaching the game to me! I love the idea of it,lol, and its fun to get excited about the games!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think we'll be watching dirty dancing this weekend too. i still can't believe how fast that cancer took him down. so sad.

    have fun at the homecoming game. a family football night sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'll have to finally see Dirty Dancing. I missed that era of movies, etc. while I was busy raising my girls. As for the Taylor Swift debacle, what a jerk he is! And yes, Beyonce really was a lady.

    You're way to young to be touched by the passing of Mary Travers the way I am, but I loved Peter, Paul and Mary.

    I didn't see the interview, but I, like you, have been a fan of Whitney Houston's voice, if not her lifestyle. I, too, pray for her to find peace.

    What fun you all will have at the football game tonight. Please post pictures.

    Have a great weekend.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete