Sunday, August 02, 2009

How Can You Mess Up Blueberry Cobbler?

Just so you know, the blueberry cobbler totally flopped!

Let me explain.

I wanted to make this delectable dessert for my employees so I bought all the ingredients the night before. On Friday morning when I opened the Bisquick, there were weevils - oh, yes! I said WEEVILS - in the box! One lesson my momma always taught me was to always look at your baking products like flour and cake mixes for little "surprises" when you open the package or box. Thank God I saw this before I actually used it, although I must say that it would have been rather hard to not see.

So....option number two.

I distinctly remember in Home Ec - nearly twenty years ago - making a similar recipe using peaches and it was a cup of this, a cup of that, yada, yada, yada. So....I decided to use a cup of flour instead since that's what we used for the peach cobbler and it turned out well.

But like I said. That was twenty years ago and my memory isn't what it use to be.

I let that sucker cook for-EVAH! The recipe said 30-40 minutes. I ended up taking Alise to daycare and coming BACK to the house to take the cobbler out of the oven! It cooked for over an hour and I still had my doubts. but thought, "Just how bad could it be?"

I had a meeting first thing, so by the time I got to the break room for a bite (for breakfast), about a third of it was gone. That was a good sign.

It was very ooey and gooey. Not cobbler-y. Is that even a word?

I think two of my employees felt sorry for their boss - or either thought their jobs were on the line if they didn't try a bite - but my first bite told me all I needed to know. My own boss actually walked down the hall and saw me holding a plate while I was talking to a co-worker and asked what delicious-looking thing I was eating. I told her to pa-leese pass on the said blueberry cobbler because it was horrible. Do you know what she told me? She said that she was just impressed that I got up and cooked in the morning. Ding-ding!!

So, after I threw the plate away in the trash in my office, I snuck back to the breakroom and grabbed the dish before anyone else took it upon themselves to partake. I hid the cobbler in my office for the rest of the day. I couldn't get home fast enough to stuff that horrible concoction down the garbage disposal!!

Oh! And the cobbler that I actually remembered seeing last week that looked SO wonderful? Here it is. Sounds like alot of you use this same recipe, so leave it up to me to royally screw it up!

THEN!

Sunday afternoon, I thought I would try this recipe - also found on a blog that I read. Notice it calls for chicken thighs. We don't eat any meat in our house with bones in it and we certainly don't eat "dark" meat. I'll also mention that I actually overlooked the "skinless, boneless" part. What? Thighs come boneless? Yep! My BFF even told me that.

So, anyway, I thought I would use boneless, skinless, chicken breast tenderloins - since this is the chicken product that we normally buy.

Yeah. I think I kinda screwed this one up, too.

I really knew I messed it up when I asked Wayne if he liked the chicken and he said, "Yeah, but I think you cooked it a little too long."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because the chicken just falls apart and melts in your mouth."

Me: "Well, uh? DUH!! Isn't that what you wanted? Sounds good to me! I cooked it for as long as the recipe said! 4-6 hours!"

"Well, maybe you should use another type of chicken meat next time."

Husband-sitting-in-the-recliner-feeding-his-face-from-said-chicken-recipe say what?!?

"The recipe did call for thighs."

He nearly choked. "Well, why didn't you use thighs?!"

Ugh!!

I think we need a new chef at our house.

And I think he likes to sit in the recliner a little too much these days!

Laura.Sign

8 comments:

  1. I do cup of sugar, cup of floor, cup of milk & 4 cups of blueberries. Bake at 350 for 1 hr. I think I'll go make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how to make cobbler and if I tried I would not have gotten up early to do it...when I have tried cooking in the morning it just never works out for me. It always takes longer than it should and that makes me run behind. Glad you scored some points with the boss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is definitely the thought that counts...and he who complains gets to cook the next night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hysterical! I have made things like that too. It is funny now looking back on it, but not at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mess up recipes quite often, but I haven't been cooking very long. I made what sounded like a yummy chicken recipe with a little sauce. I had to throw it away. I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! Your cooking adventures are cracking me up! I need to get to the new recipe department too though!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honey, I'm sure it tasted way better than anything I could've put together! The only thing I bake well are cookies (and I have no idea how I even manage that, except I just follow the recipe to a tee!!) Sorry it turned out to be a disaster but at least your boss was impressed!!!

    Oh and husbands should know that unless they plan on doing the cooking, they should just keep their mouths shut and their opinions to themselves!! I just love when my husband asks me "were you supposed to cook it this long...it seems too dry". I say back, "well, if you think you can do better...have at it....until then keep your mouth shut and just eat".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I just sent you an e-mail and now I am reading how it went for you. I mess things up all the time myself, so no worries! If you liked the taste of it, try it again with thighs...hopefully it will be (much) better! :)

    ReplyDelete