Thursday, July 16, 2009

New York Cuisine on a Broadway Budget

Before you begin reading, just know that no, I did not take pictures of every single thing that we ate while we were in New York. Leigh wouldn't let me. Ha! Not really. But I thought I would tell you about some of the places that we ate and find the links for you so that if you ever DO get to go to New York, you'll have some idea of where to go.

Let me say that Leigh and I didn't go to NY necessarily for the food. We didn't go to any fancy schmancy restaurants simply because that wasn't how we wanted to spend our money. We had decided that we were there for the plays and not the food. Having said that, we also didn't want to go to places that we had here at home. We still wanted to eat NY food, but spend reasonably. And, let me just say, that it can be done! We split all our meals and the most we spent was $15 a piece.

The first night, we ate at John's Pizzeria in Times Square. True authentic NY brick-oven pizza and the atmosphere was great. One wall was a black and white mural. Leigh had been before so she suggested it and the pizza was SO good!! We even ate the crust!

We had bagels at Bagel Stix on 8th Avenue. OMGoodness! This place had every type of bagel and muffin imaginable and the cutest pink poodle cupcakes in the world! If I knew I could have gotten one home for Baby Girl, I would have bought one! Word of warning: tell them light on the cream cheese. They like to layer it on the bagels pretty thick.


If you are fortunate enough to have a Food Emporium near you, then I think you are the luckiest person in the world! Fresh salads, sushi, hot or cold meals to go, every juice beverage known to man, the best chocolate muffins in the world...who could ask for more?! The little jewel wasn't even hardly a block away from our hotel and we frequented it alot! I even bought my employees small "witch" brownies in different assortments. One night, we weren't really that hungry, so Leigh opted for sushi and I got a Caesar salad. So good! Then!...on our way back to the hotel after seeing Wicked, we stopped in and bought these wonderful little things.....


Leigh's chocolate cheesecake

My Oreo Cheesecake

But the cheesecake eating didn't end there! We ate it AGAIN at Juniors after we finished the night bus tour. We timed it just right because we got to the restaurant right before the shows ended. By the time we left, the line was very long to get in. Juniors cheesecake was wonderful! As by friend Audrey put it, "it was love at first bite!" I had the strawberry and Leigh had raspberry. BTW, Leigh is the ONLY person I know who can eat cheesecake TWICE and still loose two pounds!!!


We decided to hop the bus again and go to Little Italy on Sunday, but the tour took a little longer than we remembered and so by the time we actually got there, it was well after 1:00 and we were famished! We went in the first restaurant we could find, which was Italian, of course, and opted to sit inside in the air conditioning so our Southern Belle selves wouldn't melt (Sunday was the warmest day of our entire stay). The name of the restaurant was Positano Ristorante and the food was so good! We had a cheesy bread appetizer with marinara; Leigh had cheese ravioli and I had the spaghetti. You could tell this was a family owned restaurant and I think the only one that was really fluent in English was "Poppy," who seemed to be the patriarch. The family sat down to eat their own lunch at a long table beside us and I felt like I was in a Sopranos episode! We forgot to try the gelato from a street vendor before we left and went to China Town.


I'll share one last restaurant and the story behind our "celebrity sighting" in my next NY post!
Laura.Sign

8 comments:

  1. Everything looks & sounds yummy! I am such a dessert girl too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! The food looks so good. I agree when you go to a new place you should try something new, not something you have at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an AWESOME time!!! Love all the pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, Awesome post Laura!! What a great idea to link to all the places you went to! SO glad you got to have Junior's and that you loved it too!! I'm loving all these New York posts BTW and will be sad when they're over,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY!!! Junior's is fun, isn't it? We have a Food Emporium nearby but it sounds like the one in NYC is much bigger/ better--ours is a converted A&P!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cheesecake looks amazing! I would want to try all the traditional NY things. For some reason I have always wanted to buy a hot dog from a street vendor. Ha! The Food Emporium sounds wonderful. If I ever see one I will be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pictures are on an older post right under my latest post. They are down towards the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just say YUM! My stomach is growling. And no, I don't have a Twix in my hand right now :)

    ReplyDelete