Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Wayne!

My hubby gets to relish in the revelry of having his birthday coincide with the anniversary of man’s first walk on the moon.

He told me the other day when we were coming home from church that he remembers the “moon walk” – and I’m not talking about Michael Jackson here, either.

I looked at him and said, “No, you don’t! You were a baby! How could you remember?”

To which he replied, “But I do remember.”

I said, “You remember reading or hearing about it, but you don’t remember the actual walk.”

Silence.

I think I burst his bubble.

He ignored me the rest of the afternoon.

So have you done the math or have you cheated and heard all across the airways that this week marks the 40th anniversary of the moon walk?

Yes, that would mean my sweet, sweet husband turns the big 4-0 today!

I thought I would be really cute and post tons of pictures of Wayne as a baby and how he has grown and changed over the last 40 years, but I don’t have any of his baby or school pictures. Isn’t that sad? I have his old Weekly Reader books from elementary school, a few of his favorite baby toys and old baseball cards, but no pictures of how my man has become who he is through the years. He probably wouldn’t appreciate the pictures, anyway, being on the internet and all…

I could gush and slush and tell you all about how wonderful my husband is, because, after all, he really is. But he insisted on no parties or grand hoopla. He’s kinda simple like that.

Instead, we celebrated as a family by going out to dinner at Outback and eating one of Cyndi’s awesome cakes until we were so drunk on chocolate that Wayne forgot that the number four and zero actually go together in his world now!



I casually mentioned skipping a nightly ritual and perhaps blessing Wayne with a 8 pound gift in nine months, but he didn’t seem to like that idea, either. Something about the number 40 and 8 pounds in 9 months just didn’t sound very good to him, so he opted for the “King of Queens” complete box set instead. And a free trip with the boys to the Hunter’s Extravaganza in two weeks.

Happy Birthday, Wayne! I love you with all my heart and I hope we get to celebrate many more wonderful birthday’s together!

P.S. Leigh and Jonah came over tonight to eat birthday cake. We told them that eating a Crimson Tide cake would turn them into die-hard Bama fans instead of the LSU fans that they are! Ha, ha! I think they're scared!!
Laura.Sign

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!

    PS -- My husband runs away when I offer to grow a person in my uterus, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great cake!! I hope Wayne had the happiest of birthdays!! Lol, at the 8 pound gift!! Kevin agrees that he doesn't want another one of those either!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake is great! Happy Birthday to Wayne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Wayne! What a great post! I love the cake! It looks delicious. The picture of him with Alise is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to him!! Sounds like it was a good one...that cake totally rocks!!

    If I ever mentioned having more children my husband would have me committed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the cake and ice cream! That was the BEST tasting cake ever (but it was the worst theme!). I still bleed purple and gold.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your favorite UPS man. But that cake would look better in red & black! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even a UT fan can appreciate the cake. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete