Sunday, July 19, 2009

Alise's First Sleep Over

In case you’re wondering what has happened to Alise (because I haven’t even mentioned her in my last two posts), she’s still here! Silly as ever and still my little shadow. My mini-me. My baby. The joy of my life.

Someone asked how she handled me being in New York. Well, let’s just say that she really didn’t want me to go. She woke up very early the morning I left and the meltdown from the previous night continued. Finally, I told her to walk outside with me while I put my suitcase in the car. Wayne and I got to talking while he was checking the air in my tires and she said, “Okay, Mommie! Bye! See ya later!” and into the house she ran! I think cartoons were calling her name. I tried to call a few times, but she would start crying and get upset so I just resolved myself to the fact that I probably wouldn’t be able to carry on a reasonable conversation with my child until I got back to Louisiana. Of course, she ordered me to bring her back four prizes; I brought back three. I don’t like being ordered by a four year old.

And, then! It happened! Not even thirty minutes after I got home, Alise began asking me, “When is Emma coming over? When can Emma come over?” Ugh! That was my bargaining tool: that Alise could have a friend over to spend the night after I got back from New York. However, since she has no concept of time, she was thinking that it would be that very night. I told her she had to wait until Friday night.

And here they are: two of the original three Amigos! Another brush with reality of what it would really be like to have two kids….together…close to the same age!! Ouch! Don’t wanna go there!
Alise and Emma were loving on each other while they watched a clown make funny balloon animals outside Chic-fil-a at our mall Friday night.

The girls totally cracked me up! Emma refused to wear her clothes and wanted to wear some of Alise's instead. Both had to have purses and their Build-A-Bear pets. I felt like I was babysitting teenagers instead of a three and four year old.

Emma is the only little girl that I know would stop and have to put lipgloss on during a carousel ride! Too funny!!

Here are the girls at BABW. I caved and ended up buying them a purple sequinned bikini for their pets.

The girls were SO good! They never fussed or argued, but played together so well. But around 9:30 - right after I talked to Lori and told her everything was okay - when I was getting the girls ready for bed, Emma became teary and I knew what was about to happen. I tried everything to get her to stay the night, but every time I asked if she wanted to do something, she told me she wanted to go home. Meanwhile, Alise was TOTALLY freaking out!! She did NOT want her best friend to go home. She begged Emma to stay and had a complete wipe out (ten times worse than a melt down). She kept crying, "Emma, I love you! I don't want you to go home. Please stay here with me." It just broke my heart.

So....I ended up calling Lori back and met her at a local gas station so that she could take Emma home. Alise was devestated. She told me, "Mommie, Emma didn't even say 'bye' to me! She didn't even give me a hug! Why wouldn't she stay with me?" Oh, it just killed me. Her first major disappointment hurt me as much as it did her. So guess who slept in our bed Friday night while her daddy slept on the couch?

And here we are...before church this morning...all smiles and the wipe out from Friday night completely forgotten. I hate that Alise's first sleep over didn't end well, but Alise told me Saturday morning, "Mommie, I'm not mad at Emma." And then, "When can she come back?" (for the umpteenth time).


Laura.Sign

9 comments:

  1. You two look so pretty! I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has a child that melts down and wipes out. She didn't do this until she turned 3. I am sorry her first sleepover didn't go so well. You made their time together fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great mama you are!! And what a great time you sure made for Alise's sleepover! You both look beautiful too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture of you two together! Sofia has not had a "real" sleepover yet. I have kept some kids overnight but not Sofia's school friends. I am too nervous of that very thing happening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. she sounds so much like my daughter....right up my butt all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind words. Your daughter reminds me of my youngest grand daughter. Have a wonderful day. You must at least go to one decoration, I have been using Ancestry.com and with all the relatives they have given me a tremendous amount of information.
    blossom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that Alise's first sleep over didn't go so well - but it looks like they were having a blast until the sleeping part. Carter has been asking about having friends over to spend the night and I think we will start with having a friend over to play. I just can't believe he is growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe next time A should try spending the night with E. And don't worry, soon you will be hosting more sleep-overs than you can shake a stick at!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pic of ya'll, very cute! :) Sorry the sleepover didn't last! I can remember being the kid who wanted to go home and my friend wanting me to stay! ha! I was much older than Alise though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWWWWW, poor Alise!I love the photo of the two of you.

    ReplyDelete