Monday, July 06, 2009

4th of July 2009

I hope you had a great time celebrating Independence Day because we sure did!

My brother and his family were in for the long weekend from Conway, Arkansas! Alise could not wait for her cousin Brooklyn to get to town!

Our day started early Saturday morning because Alise was dying to get to her Nana & Papaw's house to play with her cousin. At 9:00, I asked Wayne to go ahead and take her over while I finished up the cookies and the green beans for lunch. When I got there, they were playing so hard, riding bikes and the plasma car. Their little cheeks were flushed from the warm weather even though we had fans going on high under the carport and patio. Alise and Brooklyn looked so cute in their summer sundresses!

This year, Daddy decided to hand over the bar-b-que tongs to his son-in-law. Wayne donned his denim apron and grilled and grilled and grilled! Ha! We had pork chops, steaks, chicken, and hot dogs! He did a great job!

This is me and Alise soon after I got to my parents' house, thus, the makeup is still on. By the end of the afternoon, I had either sweated or rubbed it off.

I absolutely love this picture of Alise even though it is slightly blurry. Mom and I taught the girls to jump rope this weekend. I would have to tell them when to jump, but they did really well with taking turns and seemed to get the hang of it. It's now Alise's favorite thing to do!

The food table: grilled pork chops, steak, chicken, hotdogs, baked beans, potato salad, green beans, and garlic bread. My mom does such a great spread when all the family is home. It's one of my favorite things about her!

Alise and the cook.

We finally convinced the girls to take a short nap to let their food settle. Ha! The dreaded words that I always hated to hear in the summer time when all I really wanted to do was swim. Never the less, after their naps (and mine, too) the girls grabbed their swimsuits and headed outside for swimming and slip and sliding! They had a ball!!


We made homemade vanilla and chocolate ice cream later that afternoon. So yummy!!


We left my parents' house around 7:30 to go home and get baths and wash Alise's hair with intentions of returning after dark to shoot fireworks. However, shortly after we got home, Alise threw up. Ugh! Luckily, it wasn't a virus - just a combination of all the "junk" I let her eat that afternoon. She went to bed with an awful headache so we had to cancel the fireworks show. Her last words before she fell asleep were, "I love Brooklyn." It made me smile. The perfect description for our day...filled with family and love!

P.S. One of the best things for me was that I convinced my SIL to join the Twittering world! I'm so excited for her!

P.S.S. Leigh and I leave for New York on Thursday! We are SO excited! She was scaring me, though. I was afraid she would back out, but she finally decided to buy a suitcase! Ha, ha!

Laura.Sign

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:45 PM

    Looks like you guys had a blast on the 4th! To be a kid again and carefree! Have fun in New York! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long are you staying in NY? When I go back I'm staying at LEAST a week, if not more. There's just so much to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you still losing weight? You look awesome girl!!!! Love Alise's dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful 4th!! Just love all your great pictures and your beautiful table spread!! Alise on the slip & slide is just so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are all SO great!!!!! Looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tons of fun! Every time you post a picture, I love your hair more. You look so pretty in that picture & skinny!!! I wish I was a photogenic as you.

    Is that enough brown-nosing to get some of those cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like ya'll had a great 4th as well. Our men really know how to grill, we are lucky gals!

    Give Alise a hug and kiss for us!

    Love ya,
    Mi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't get over how much Brooklyn has grown!

    I'm not backing out!! I wanna see Wicked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you all had so much fun!!! My kids love their slip-n-slide too!! And you, my friend, look simply gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a fabulous time! I love it with children take to old traditions, jump ropes and slip and slides!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a wonderful day with the Family. I am so excited to hear all about your trip to NY...you will have so much fun. Any by the way, you look great!

    ReplyDelete