Monday, May 11, 2009

We Have A Nanny!

I have been trying for the past two months to find someone to keep Alise this summer. My original plan was for her to go to daycare three days a week and then have someone keep her two days, who could take her to the zoo, park, library…things like that. I was scared that Alise would get bored with daycare (she’s still too young to be considered “school age” and I didn’t really want her with the bigger kids, anyway) and I thought that if we could mix up the routine a bit, she would enjoy her summer more.

The process hasn’t been easy. At least not as easy as you think it would be.

Since Wayne is involved in our church’s collegiate ministry, we decided to start there first. After all, those kids have wheels and we knew we needed someone with a good driving record in order to play chauffer. Every lead was a dead end. Most everyone had plans for the summer or was going on a foreign mission trip. Okay, so scratch that idea.

Then, I started browsing the “find-a-nanny” websites and most of them had outrageous fees for background checks and driving records. I just couldn’t see paying that kind of money, although those things were important to me. In other words, although I liked the term, “nanny,” I wasn’t quite yet ready to pay those crazy prices just to find one…yet!

One weekend, I was at home and saw a commercial for Care.com. It’s a site that helps locate sitters, maids, movers, tutors and other “gigs” in your area. The fee was much more reasonable than any of the other rates I had seen, so I decided to give it a try. I was surprised to find that there were a TON of babysitters in my area. So I started emailing. And let’s just say that I was very disappointed in the candidates. Lots of flaky people. People who would email once or twice saying they were interested in the job and then never return another email. I interviewed one girl on the phone (at work, I am ashamed to admit) and she talked non-stop (I kid you not!) for an hour and a half! I could NOT get a word in. When my other line began ringing, I told her that I needed to go and she STILL kept talking!! I think I must have ended up being rude because she sent me an email the next day and said that she didn’t think that we would be a “good fit.” Ha! Me? I was interviewing YOU, Sista!

So, I sulked.

And I sulked some more.

About this time, I got the nasty-gram from Alise’s current school stating that she was not eligible to attend summer camp there because she was not registered for the 09/10 school year (we’re transferring her to another private school in the Fall). By this time, I was beyond sulking and I was TICKED! Obviously, her current school didn’t need our money. And with that decision went Alise’s friends.

Once again, I decided to take matters into my own hands. This time, I placed an “ad” on Care.com and hoped that I would get a better turn out. Emails started trickling in and some of them were from the exact same people I had emailed before. I just knew Alise was destined to attend daycare and my summer would be miserable fighting her each and every morning because she didn’t want to go! Ugh! Until…

I got an email from B. And there was something different about her. She responded quickly to my emails, seemed much more “peppy-er” and courteous and she sounded very nice on the phone.

So….this past Friday night, we invited B over to the house for dinner and give her an opportunity to meet Alise. They seemed to hit it off rather well. The more we talked, the more I decided that I liked the idea of B staying home with Alise all summer and not just a few days a week. We agreed that I would call her on Monday to let her know what Wayne and I had decided over the weekend.

We have a Nanny! B accepted the job today and I am SO excited! I am hoping that this summer job will flow right into the school year when I will need extra help with getting Alise to dance and gymnastics once again. She’ll chauffer Alise to various activities this summer and run any errands that I may need. I wonder if I could get B to do my Walmart shopping? Ha!

So be looking for some pictures in the future of Alise with her new “friend.”

Speaking of pictures, I submitted the picture of Addison & Alise with Miss ULM at the “Tiaras & Tea” party on Saturday to our local newspaper today. All you local folks be watching in Sunday’s Accent Section for their pic! I can’t wait!

Also, tonight is the last official dance practice. Rehearsals start next week at our local Civic Center for recital. Tonight, the moms are suppose to have a meeting with the ballet teachers to talk about costume, hair, times, etc. I can’t wait to film her ballet performance for you to see! Alise’s class is dancing with their “big sisters” in their performance to Bob Carlisle’s “Butterfly Kisses.” I cry every time I watch them perform and I’ve told Wayne to bring a box of Kleenex with him when he comes to the recital, too. I should have that video by next Thursday. It will be their dance rehearsal performance because parents are not allowed to video during the actual recital (The studio wants you to buy the $25 dance DVD). Imagine that!

Laura.Sign

9 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that you solved your problem! It sounds like it will work out perfectly. I am jealous! To have someone run your errands! Make sure you give B a camera so you can see all the fun they are having over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found somebody! Maybe I should try that out. I need a maid/nanny, since mine got sick. The one I have isn't working out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with B. It's so hard trying to find someone that "fits" with you and your children and that you can trust. I hope this works out well for everyone. Looking forwward to "meeting your nanny" through your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! for finding a perfect fit with your family. I can believe it wasn't an easy task.

    I can't wait to see the dance recital.

    Emily's dress rehearsals start this week, for the performance next weekend. Hard to believe the year is wrapping up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that the two of them have many wonderful adventures together over the summer and into the new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you found a good nanny. Alise deserves the best. I'll be praying for a super summer for them both.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pics below! You alllook so pretty. I am so glad to hear that you found someone for Alise this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Congratulations!! I would LOVE a Nanny and I stay at home,lol!! I bet Alise is going to be SO precious in her recital! Can't wait to see pics/video!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so great. So glad to hear you were able to find someone that worked out. Hope they have a wonderful summer together.

    Can't wait to see little princess dancing her little heart out.

    ReplyDelete