Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Very Unusual Saturday

It was an unusual Saturday for us. Unusual because it was the first Saturday in a very long time that we didn't have a party to attend or errands to run. In other words, peace and quiet. No plans. Just togetherness at home.

Last night, we managed to sleep through a bad thunderstorm. When we finally rolled out of bed at 9:3o this morning, our yard was covered in tree limbs and leaves. Alise helped her dad clean up the yard while I washed and folded about three loads of laundry.

Alise likes to keep busy and enjoys "helping her mother," so I decided that she could help me by getting her goody bags together for her upcoming birthday party.

Green for boys and pink for girls. And let me just say that these are some pretty expensive goody bags! I tend to go all for Alise's birthday parties. I realized after we got them all stuffed that I need to get some more candy. I still have to put the stickers on the bags (monkeys for boys and mermaids for girls), attach the mermaid dolls to the girls' bags, and attach balloons to all.

Speaking of her party, I was so disappointed yesterday to receive in the mail an invitation from one of the little boys in Alise's class for his party on the same exact day as her party!!! Alise's party is at 10:00 and his begins at 11:00. I left a message for his mom to call me. I wanted to know if she invited the whole class so that I would know whether or not I needed to serve cake and ice cream early so that her classmates could leave in time to attend his party. I just knew something like this would happen, but I'm almost to the point where I really don't care. This was suppose to just be a small party to celebrate with her friends, anyway. I tend to make things out bigger than they're suppose to be. I'm sure her best friends will be there even if her class isn't.

It was our weekend to dye Easter eggs. We ran out of time last weekend and Alise has asked me every day this week if we could do it today. We didn't do very many because I knew she would loose interest pretty quick and she did. This afternoon we watched the "A-Day Game" game on ESPN. The whole time we were watching it, Wayne was saying how much he wished we had just gotten in the car and headed to Tuscaloosa to see our beloved Bama play!

Speaking of Bama, I've been doing alot of looking on Etsy. A girl from Baton Rouge might be making Alise a Bama dress with crimson and elephants. I'll keep you posted. I heart me some Etsy! i could spend a fortune on that site!

When I woke up from a late nap, we finally decided to leave the house for a while to get some supper at a local bar-b-que dive. We stopped by McDonald's on the way because we knew Alise probably wouldn't like it. I ate entirely too much, but it was oh-so good! I haven't had bar-b-que in a while.

We've watched several movies this weekend. Of course last night was "family movie night" and we watched "Marly & Me." Alise loved the dog - that's all she really cared about. She didn't understand the movie and I was so glad that I didn't have to elaborate on the ending. Just know that both me and the hubby were cryin' and I got to missing my Lhasa Apsa, Zack. We also watched "Columbus Day" with Val Kilmer. Don't waste your time on that one. And as I type, the hubby is putting in, "The Day the Earth Stood Still." I'll let you know how it turns out.

The winds are beginning to pick up again. I think we're in for some more bad weather tonight.
Laura.Sign


11 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see pics from this fabulous party! I also can not believe someone else would plan a party on the same day as Alise's! I am lovin the stuff I got off Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very thoughtful to call Alise's friend's mom and ask that.

    I can't wait to see all the mermaid stuff!

    My hubby watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" --- I think it's more of a guy's movie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great Saturday! We loved Marley and Me too, total tearjerker! I love your Goody Bags! What lucky little girls and boys!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that someone else didn't have time to dye Easter eggs last weekend. I felt so bad because I knew that MK would really enjoy it, but we just couldn't fit it in. So we dyed our eggs at the end of this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet this is going to be one FANTASTIC party. I'm with you. I think birthdays are a huge deal and I want to make a big deal of them. They are only little for such a short time! Soon they won't want us to embarrass them. Ha! Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am digging the Lilly colored bags. Can't wait to see pics of the big event. Sounds like you had a nice weekend. I enjoy your posts, Laura. I get all out of sorts if I don't see the details in your life, LOL. :) HUGS!

    Did you get my re-invite? Just sign in with your usual blogger password.


    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a great weekend just being at home. Wow, you are really getting some wild storms!! You must be used to them if you sleep through them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment you left me with the words to that song...I need to remember that because it is so true!

    Marley and Me was such a good movie...I was crying at the end...it really made me miss my Lucky. He was our baby before Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a truly creative Mom. Jim and I liked The Day the Earth Stood Still okay. We both remember the original. Isn't it fun to know old people?

    I'm going to use your 8 things for one of my posts this week. Thanks for sharing.

    I love how very serious Alise is while coloring her eggs.


    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those pink and green gift bags. I'm sure she'll have a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As long as Alise has fun at her party...that's all that matters!!! I know it will be a great time!

    We were gonna head over to Tuscaloosa for the A-Day Game, but Delaney ended up having her county softball tournament all day. But I DVR-ed it went back and watched every minute of it. I think McElroy is gonna do just fine at quarterback!

    ReplyDelete