Wednesday, April 08, 2009

This Is Not What I Intended to Post

My plans to blog about "Chicken Tampico" will have to wait - and if you were at the downtown location of our hospital yesterday, you know what I'm talking about!

Last night, I found myself with a heavy heart.

Yesterday morning, I read Angie's blog.

Then, I read that one of my best blogging friend's husband lost his job.

One of Wayne's hunting buddies lost his job last week, too.

A couple that we know delivered a baby girl yesterday and now the baby is in NICU with respiratory failure. The mom had a normal pregnancy.

An employee of mine is going through a separation with her husband. They are talking divorce.

I had lunch with some of my co-workers yesterday. One was fighting and no longer speaking to her grown daughter over something so trivial. Another friend is single and doesn't understand why she's not married and having babies at her age. Another friend is having an affair with a married man.

Does the world seem like it's falling apart to you sometimes?! Do you ever just want to throw your hands in the air and scream, "Enough!!"?

And what makes it even worse is that I can't necessarily put myself in their shoes because I've never experienced the things that they are going through. It's almost unfair that I should be so "fortunate."

I don't believe in fate. I do believe in Divine Intervention. I believe in something bigger than myself. I believe in "the plan" of Jeremiah 29:11 because I have experienced it. It got me through college when I wanted to throw in the towel. It got me through the CPA exam as well as tough times in my early marriage years. "The plan" got me through an ectopic pregnancy, the death of my father-in-law, depression, and the days of raising a toddler. It truly is my hope and future.

I say all of this because I believe that it is our Faith that gets us through the tough times. It's the belief that our sight is limited to the "here and now," and yet God sees the whole picture. He is the plan. And when we can't begin to understand the circumstances or the "why's," He knows the "because."

If you know someone that is struggling in some way - what ever it may be - I encourage you to pray for that person.

Last night when I was wrestling with all the "bad" things that seemed to be going on around me, this verse came to mind: "I've told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I've conquered the world" (The Message, John 16:33)
Laura.Sign

12 comments:

  1. There are so many people in need of prayer. We are so fortunate to be able to say that we have not walked in those shoes. Thank you for a post which reminds us to count our blessings, and remember those who need us to pray.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT post Laura, and the verse you posted is just beautiful :-) Despite everything that can overwhelm us here in this life, we all need to just keep moving forward and looking toward the sky. It helps me keep everything in perspective ;-)

    p.s.
    sorry that was me above, logged into kevin's account ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed that verse today. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. It feels like every time I turn around this week, someone else is struggling. Angie's story is so touching. I visited her blog yesterday and was in tears.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I needed that verse as well today. Thank you for that. It made my heart smile with some difficult things my family is going through right now in regards to my Mom's health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found out that one of my dearest friends has been diagnosed with spinal cancer. She is a 14 year breast cancer survivor. In all of this she is praising the Lord for his mercy and grace.

    I so desire to be Christlike, and fail so often. Thanks for this wonderful post.

    Jeremiah 29:11 is my daughter's life verse. When she didn't get into the dance program she wanted, she said that verse kept her sane. A year later when she found the place God wanted her to be, she really understood the verse.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Angie's post yesterday, too, and was so sad, but so inspired by her faith.

    I love the verse you put at the end. You are so right - God IS the plan. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. I think I understand how you feel because we have been lucky too. Last week one of the moms from schools was in tears because four of her husbands co-workers died in the war...I cried with her and tear up just thinking about it. My friends husband lost his job. A family friend is depressed because he lost a lawsuit that is a big financial lose. One neighbor died on my parents block and two others are dying - all from cancer. An on and on...So when days like yesterday happen, we had 5 house showings and the toilet overflowed an hour before I jsut have to realize its not that big of a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post sounds like mine a couple of weeks ago, remember. We are so blessed! That verse says so much. I hope your world turns happy soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen Sister! Sometimes it can be very hard to handle being surrounded by bad news & situations, whether it's going on in your life or someone elses. It's like you said, God has a "plan" for everyone of our lives. It may not be the ideal plan we would want, but God knows what's best for us. Our faith is very important to us especially at during the tough times. The unfortunate reality of it is so many people don't have the faith and I think that's why God chooses to have unfaithful people interact with his children. We have the opportunity to plant the seed of faith. With hope and prayer we could watch it grow and prosper. I like to keep a quote from Charles Swindoll on my blog "Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% how you react to it".

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post, Laura. I know many of us needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete