Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Who Me? Bitter?

I’ve been accused of being a hater of Facebook.

Please allow me to clear the air. A-hem. I do not hate Facebook. I even encouraged Pam to take a shot at it just yesterday! But I’ll be honest. I did compose a post last week titled, “What’s All the Hoopla About Facebook?” I just never hit the “publish” button.

Let me explain.

Thanks to my hip baby-sitter (who hasn’t been around much lately), I started my FB adventure over two years ago. My friends who have older kids (aka “teenagers”) said that they really liked the FB features better than My Space because of the confirmation process (it’s a better mechanism for not getting to know those really crazy people out there). I even suggested Wayne get a FB page back then because he helps with the college age at our church and that’s how all the kids communicate. He did and has been hooked ever since.

Maybe it’s just me. Maybe because I didn’t have my maiden name – which is Anderson – included in my profile is the reason I wasn’t seeing much action. I mostly only talked to current friends and a few friends that had moved out of state. No big, “OMG!-Where- have-you-been-since-such-n-such” kind of moments. No major long lost childhood friend or high school friend hook ups. So, I lost interest and decided to be a full-time blogger instead of a prime-time facebooker.

I’m also – believe it or not – a rather private person. I wasn’t keen on writing on other people’s walls for the whole world to see. I’m an emailer. I’m an IM’er. I am definitely a texter. And I have crack-berry hands.

Last April, Wayne and I got new blackberries. “One of the features,” the clerk told us, “is that it has the Facebook icon so you can check all your activity.” Yawn.

Right before Christmas, my cousin – God love her – wrote on Wayne’s wall something to the effect of : “What’s wrong with Laura? Is she mad at me? Why won’t she confirm me as a friend?” To which I replied back to my dear, sweet, face booker husband, “Tell her I don’t do face book. Give her my blog address.” A month later, I found out from my Grandmother that she got hitched and moved to Texas. Whell! So much for telling me!

About three weeks ago, I caught Wayne on my laptop late one night. When I asked what he was doing, he said, “Face Book.” I rolled my eyes. He said, “No, wait! Com’ere! Look at all these people I found that I went to high school with! So-n-so lives in Georgia…I got on So-n-so’s profile and found so-n-so…Look at these pictures So-n-so posted of us when we were in high school…” What? My ears perked up. Pictures of you in high school? I had to have a look (Wayne and I didn’t go to the same high school. He was graduating when I was in the 8th grade!). After I had my laugh of a lifetime, I got to wondering, “OMG! I hope some old high school mo-ron isn’t out there posting pictures of ME from nearly twenty years ago! That ‘80’s hair!! My daughter will be so ashamed of me!”

Two days later – I kid you not – a fellow co-worker and old high school friend came in my office and asked, “Have you heard of something called Facebook?” Ugh!!

So I did what only a girl could do – who is so afraid of her ‘80’s hair showing up on the internet for the whole world to see – I caved. I jumped on Facebook for the first time in about eight months this past Sunday night. What can I say? I had forty-seven people to confirm. There were only three that I honestly didn’t know. People had been looking for little ol’ ME?!

The first thing I did was add my maiden name to my profile. Then, I went shopping for friends! Shopping and looking for people who had joined FB during my 8-month hiatus. And boy, were there some new people!! My most special find was a bridesmaid of mine that I haven’t seen or talked to in probably four or five years! Her Halloween 2008 pictures of her and her family (two boys) dressed to the T as the rock group, Kiss, just totally sent me over the edge! I nearly fell off the couch!

I cried. How could I have missed all this?

And the absolute best thing in the world? The FB option on my blackberry! I can actually talk to these people all day long!! How cool is that?

Now, I’m hooked.

But the first person who posts a picture of my ‘80’s hair is going DOWN!

Laura.Sign

28 comments:

  1. That is too funny. I've been hooked on facebook for several months now AND I just ordered a blackberry yesterdday! I cant wait to get it in! I'll look you up when I log on tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny. I've been hooked on facebook for several months now AND I just ordered a blackberry yesterdday! I cant wait to get it in! I'll look you up when I log on tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got caught by FB...hook, line, & sinker...now I have to do a search for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, that is hysterical.
    go friend me. my link is on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on facebook and got on only because of the college kids. Now I really love it because of all of my "old" friends on there! It is great! My 87 year old grandfather is on there, too!! He loves being connected with former students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have facebook on my crack-berry. But I don't have a FB account. Hmmm... now I'm curious. Maybe I need to check it out.And yes ma'am I know about some Crack-berry texting fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently opened a Facebook account and I really like it...there are people that I had totally forgotten about.

    I agree with you about writing on the walls...I don't always want everyone and their brother reading what I wrote!

    I am one of those people who posted high school pics, but only because we have a reunion this summer and we are making a slide show. They are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to run with the cool club, but somedays I don't feel like playing :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I'm gonna do it. My kids do it and some of their friends who I'd like to keep in touch with. I'll be posting about it soon, I'm sure.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are cracking me up!! I'm on Facebook because it's really the only way to communicate with Jason in Afghanistan...and it IS funny to see all of these people looking for you and "befriending" you! Technology is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The problem with facebook for me is I don't want to catch up with all my old classmates. I don't have to do that in bloggy world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy you re-entered the FB world! I have only been addicted since November, but I do LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh and yes, I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to approve my friend request!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm hooked, too! I have gotten reconnected with lots of high school and college friends. I'm jumping over to send you a request. My 80's hair has already hit the world wide web. Ugh! FB will never take the place of blogging for me though! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are SO funny!!! I'm new to all this facebook stuff and still don't get it all, but I'm trying. I have found lots of OLD connections. My biggest question is why people request me for a friend that I haven't seen in 15 years and we weren't even friends then? I don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My long-time friend just this morning posted an awful picture of me from 8th grade with braces and a totally awful outfit on!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll be seeing ya there, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been on it for about a month and I am not sure I see the big deal about it yet. Thanks for the fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL! Great Post!! I admit, I'm a facebook addict! I should add my maiden name too and see who I can find!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Am I too old, maybe? I tried to like FB...really I did. I never log on, so I can't even imagine what is posted on the wall. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been a facebook addict since they added Mizzou back in November 2004. Of course, that was when only college students could have it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. PS -- send your comment vibes my way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. First of all, I have been around, but that little precious daughter of yours decides to fall asleep when I take her on outings!!

    Ahem.

    Now, I used to be addicted to Facebook, then Myspace came along. I got addicted to myspace, but now I'm slowly drifting back to FB, just because it's soooo much simpler and easier to use.

    And I can't WAIT to find an 80s hair picture of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh come on, the 80's hair rocked!!

    I miss the hairspray obsession. Glad you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL You ARE hooked now, aren't you?

    I love FB too, although if I knew how to change my profile name and add my maiden name I'd get even more people from "way back."

    ReplyDelete
  26. You sound like such a riot! I'm on FB, too, but I much prefer my blog! It's hard enough for me to keep up with it...much less FB, too. I have found friends, but you know...it's really just like a glorified High School reunion! LOL! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I so enjoyed this post, Laura~

    ReplyDelete
  28. loved this...sadly i just had someone post a pic of me with 80s hair...it is sad because it was already the early 90s!

    ReplyDelete