So last week, even though I finally managed to catch up on all my blog readings, I'm still behind on all my magazine subscriptions. I heart me some magazines!!
Okay. So let me get on to telling you what all I learned from January's issue:
1. A reader wrote a letter to the editor regarding the "too sexy too soon" clothes that some retailers are promoting for our little girls (Thus, my "Modest Moms" button. Fill free to borrow it. I got it from somebody else, too!). The writer's sister created her own line of clothing called, The Tiny Little T-Shirt Company. I have not visited the site yet, but I'm for anything that let's our little girls be just that! The editor of FC did respond by saying that she visited the site and bought a shirt for her own daughter. Check it out.
2. Christina Tynan-Wood wrote an interesting article called, "Secrets of a Digital Mom" and it's filled with tons of techno gadgets for every room in the house. The first one that caught my eye was "Digital Assistant Sandy" for friendly free reminders. But when I went to the site, it said that it had been removed. Hmm...I would have been really interested in that one! There is also a ListPro for all you list makers for $30, but it does come with a free trial period. Go here to check out List Pro. Wanna "rent" a book instead of buying and them filling up your book shelves? Go to Bookswim. It reminded me of Netflix.
3. Tune in to upbeat songs and trim down. Visit this site to find some music to get you motivated. Also, sports psychologist Costas Karageorghis says that by walking to these songs five days a week (about a 30 minute plan), you will be 15 pounds lighter by April (remember, this is as of January): The Best (Tina Turner), Keep on Running (The Spencer Davis Group), Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (Michael Jackson), Born To Be Wild (Stepphenwolf), Movin' Too Fast (Artful Dodger and Romina Johnson), The Heat Is On (Glenn Frey), Reach (S Club 7), Lifted (Lighthouse Family). Hey! I gotta get my ipod back from Wayne!
4. In her article, "31 Days to a Healthier You," Liz Plosser says that one of the things we should strive to do is log off by 9 PM. Yep! She says, "Using your computer close to bedtime upsets your circadian rhythm, making it harder to fall asleep. The monitor's bright display inhibits production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for telling the body it's time for bed." Ew. This is not good news to me. What about all us moms that ONLY get on the computer after 9:00?!
5. And of course, there was the recipe to the "Chocolate-Peanut Butter Dream Bars."
What are your favorite magazines? Which ones do you subscribe to?
And just a thought...what do you do with your mags after you finish reading them? Do you pass them on to friends? Do you start a fire in the fireplace with them? Do you donate them or leave them at your salon or waiting rooms? My mom actually sold some magazines at a garage sale! Can you believe that?
Oh, and don't forget that you can check out magazines at your local library!