Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What I Learned from Family Circle

I'm referring to the January 2009 issue of this: Yum! Doesn't the front cover just get you?! These wonderful babies are called, "Chocolate-Peanut Butter Dream Bars." Nope. Haven't tried them yet, but I plan to. I'll post the recipe via Smile Box in a few days. And if anyone tries them before me, let me know how wonderful they are!!

So last week, even though I finally managed to catch up on all my blog readings, I'm still behind on all my magazine subscriptions. I heart me some magazines!!

Okay. So let me get on to telling you what all I learned from January's issue:

1. A reader wrote a letter to the editor regarding the "too sexy too soon" clothes that some retailers are promoting for our little girls (Thus, my "Modest Moms" button. Fill free to borrow it. I got it from somebody else, too!). The writer's sister created her own line of clothing called, The Tiny Little T-Shirt Company. I have not visited the site yet, but I'm for anything that let's our little girls be just that! The editor of FC did respond by saying that she visited the site and bought a shirt for her own daughter. Check it out.

2. Christina Tynan-Wood wrote an interesting article called, "Secrets of a Digital Mom" and it's filled with tons of techno gadgets for every room in the house. The first one that caught my eye was "Digital Assistant Sandy" for friendly free reminders. But when I went to the site, it said that it had been removed. Hmm...I would have been really interested in that one! There is also a ListPro for all you list makers for $30, but it does come with a free trial period. Go here to check out List Pro. Wanna "rent" a book instead of buying and them filling up your book shelves? Go to Bookswim. It reminded me of Netflix.

3. Tune in to upbeat songs and trim down. Visit this site to find some music to get you motivated. Also, sports psychologist Costas Karageorghis says that by walking to these songs five days a week (about a 30 minute plan), you will be 15 pounds lighter by April (remember, this is as of January): The Best (Tina Turner), Keep on Running (The Spencer Davis Group), Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (Michael Jackson), Born To Be Wild (Stepphenwolf), Movin' Too Fast (Artful Dodger and Romina Johnson), The Heat Is On (Glenn Frey), Reach (S Club 7), Lifted (Lighthouse Family). Hey! I gotta get my ipod back from Wayne!

4. In her article, "31 Days to a Healthier You," Liz Plosser says that one of the things we should strive to do is log off by 9 PM. Yep! She says, "Using your computer close to bedtime upsets your circadian rhythm, making it harder to fall asleep. The monitor's bright display inhibits production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for telling the body it's time for bed." Ew. This is not good news to me. What about all us moms that ONLY get on the computer after 9:00?!

5. And of course, there was the recipe to the "Chocolate-Peanut Butter Dream Bars."

What are your favorite magazines? Which ones do you subscribe to?

And just a thought...what do you do with your mags after you finish reading them? Do you pass them on to friends? Do you start a fire in the fireplace with them? Do you donate them or leave them at your salon or waiting rooms? My mom actually sold some magazines at a garage sale! Can you believe that?

Oh, and don't forget that you can check out magazines at your local library!

Happy reading!
Laura.Sign

13 comments:

  1. Ooh!! Thanks so much for posting about this! Maybe I"ll try and see if I can find this issue! The slow cooker recipes on the cover is what had me,lol!! And that dessert doesn't look too bad either!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Good Housekeeping. I got myself and my mother in law a subscription last year for Christmas. It is full of great stuff for the home and family. Thanks for your links to the different sites, I am definitely going to check out Bookswim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post...So interesting! I love to read magazines, but rarely have enough time to read them before a new issue comes out. I don't have any subscriptions right now, just buy one occassionally at the store.

    I really like your idea of recapping what you found interesting in the magazine because I usually keep mine because of a few articles that I liked. When blogging about them you will have the information at your fingertips! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I receive: Fitness, Southern Living, Elle, Reader's Digest, Domino, Family Fun and several others. I cashed in all my Delta miles and now get a ton of magazines! I give them to the Goodwill for them to sell or Sofia and I cut pictures out and glue, etc. with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a magazine JUNKIE! I also love and subscribe to Family Circle...and also to Southern Living, Working Mothers, Family Fun, Country Living, Good Housekeeping, Today's Christian Woman, and Focus on the Family. Am I the only person who misses Child magazine. I loved it more than Parents Magazine!

    My MIL keeps getting me Preventative magazine and I avoid it completely (dont' like the constant body stuff reminders, lol).

    I am always picking up any magazine in the checkout line that has good slow cooker and fast meal recipes.

    BTW, SO PROUD of your weight loss!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOO!! HUGS!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom's a school teacher, so she always kept her old magazines and took them to school for her kids to use for crafts and things. Picking out pictures to go with their story for the week, cutting out letters to make their spelling words, that kind of thing. The kids always loved the "crafty" part of it, and it saved mom tons on buying supplies, since the school doesn't always pay for that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will have to tell me how this recipe turns out...or I might just "borrow" my mom's copy. She has a subscription to Family Circle as well as Women's Day.

    At home, I receive People, Southern Living, Good Housekeeping, Martha Stewart Living, Patenting, Readers Digest, Sports Illustrated...and so many others that I cannot remember them all! Love magazines...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:55 PM

    I forgot to add to my list--I also get Real Simple (a favorite) and Rachael Ray. I need therapy, I think! LOL.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a great post!!! All sorts of great information. As the mom of three daughters, I am very much aware of the what I like to call "hoochie mama clothes" that are so popular. I do my best to letting my girls look trendy, but not trashy. Modesty is still very important!

    And that recipe looks Yummmy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a magazine junkie! I love Christian Woman, Southern Lady, TeaTime, Southern Living and pick up others on the newsstand as well. I would love to be reading a magazine right now while eating that delicious dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura,

    I quit subscribing to mags when I began working at the library. I used to read Good Housekeeping from cover to cover when the kids were little and I was at home.

    My two favorite flavors are chocolate and peanut butter. I am for sure going to try that sometime, but not until we lose several more pounds.

    I say Hooray for the site that sells children's clothes for children.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recycle old magazines, but I tend to keep them for a few months.

    I subscribe to a magazine called Canadian Living, Chickadee, and Chirp (kids mags). You just reminded me I bought a subscription to Taste of Home in the fall, and have yet to get one!!

    Thanks, I will look into that!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm gonna have to check that Book Swim thing out! And let me know how yummy those bars were b/c I'm having to live vicariously thru others these days. Oh how I miss desserts!

    ReplyDelete