Sunday, February 22, 2009

It's That Time of Year Again

I don't know what my hang up is with birthday parties and birthday cakes. But, I think I'm getting better.

For the last three years, I've started planning Alise's birthday parties shortly after Christmas. Her birthday is the end of May! What can I say? I'm a planner and I like to start early with trying to get ideas and deciding on a theme. However, I'm a little "later" than usual this year, mostly because her birthday will center around our "BIG" trip to Disney that we have planned. Remember, I wasn't even going to give the poor child a big party this year. I thought we would have something a little smaller with just family, but Wayne insisted that it wasn't fair for Alise not to celebrate with her friends. {Sigh} Okay.

This year, I let Alise decide on the theme of her party all by herself. She chose "The Little Mermaid." Ariel is her favorite Princess, so I'm glad that she will have at least one birthday party in her lifetime centered around the Princess of the Sea.

I've been checking out Mermaid birthday cakes online trying to get some ideas and I need your help and comments with helping me to decide which one would be best for her party. Don't worry. I plan to consult the Birthday Girl, too, but it's nearly midnight and so it will have to wait until later.

Here are a few cakes I found:

I love the shell design on the tail and the inclusion of Flounder.I like the "Barbie" theme of this cake.





This was my orginal idea until I started looking online. I was thinking just plain and simple (and I know that our Michael's has the cake mold).

I think this one is my favorite, but it is very elaborate. Is it too much for a four year old party?




I especially liked the "backdrop" to this cake.

And, Heaven's NO, I won't be making the cake! As most of you remember last year, I found my very own personal cake maker and she is fab.u.las!! Alise's pink poodle birthday cake from last year would make you slap your Moma! I'm just sayin'....


So, please let me know what you think about the cake designs from above.

Laura.Sign

23 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was wondering if you would be making this master piece...lol

    I agree that the one tier cake is a little too much what sounds like a small 4yr old party.

    My choice would be either 1 or 4.

    And darn it. Now I'm craving cake. Off to raid the kids lunch snakes :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them all! Miss Priss had a Barbie mermaid cake for her fourth bday but I love the tiered cakes too and don't think they are too much for a four year old. But I'm kid of bday party showy that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie will be so jealous! That's okay because I think she is sticking to Barbie in The Diamond Castle theme for her birthday.

    I love the double deckers! I think they are #5 & #7. They are my favorite! BTW, it's always good to have your own personal baker. LOL! Remember, I tried making Katie's cake last year because I couldn't find anyone who made Fancy Nancy cakes. Ugh! You talk about pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are AWESOME! I started to pic a fave and gave up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! How fun! You are making me want to throw a Little Mermaid party now! Ha!

    I like the third cake from the bottom. It is awesome! I also like the one above it of just Ariel's face. That would be my runner up. All adorable though! I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the really elaborate one or the last one. I am all about the cake for the b-day party. IMO it's one of the big decorations. I'm currently ordering a multi-layered carnival cake for only about 20 people...not necessary...but it will look awesome. I so hope my little girl will want a Princess of the Sea party some day!!! Ariel is my favorite too!!! Happy planning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Third one from the bottom is my favorite, but perhaps a bit too much. The Ariel face mold would be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the last cake!

    I enjoy reading your blog BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS -- I gave you an award!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dig the one you thought was maybe too elaborate. Then again, I'm a cake maker, so of course I like the stacked ones! I don't think its too elaborate. I figure Noah is only going to turn each age once and eventually he'll get to where he's too grown up and cool to want groovy cakes, so I'm taking advantage now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am definitely a planner like that too. I went over the top with MM's 4th bday cake but it was too cute. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh - those all look great! I can't decide! I have missed my daily drop ins on you! Hope you are feeling better. I am ready to get internet at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the last 3 - Especially the 3rd from the bottom...I love planning Carter's birthday party...I usually start planning about this time for his July birthday. I was just thinking this weekend that I needed to start talking to Carter about a theme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you and I are alot alike in that department. I have been working on AJ's since January as well, but his b-day is in March. I am trying to find a good star wars cake. I dont think any cake can ever be too elaborate, but I like to go all out on stuff like that! I personally like the last cake you posted, but they are all great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. #5 FOR SURE!! I do not think it is too much, I mean afterall parents will be at this party too! LOVE IT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all the cakes! I think the last few were my favorite! The last one I loved too! I love the idea of the backdrop! Its the most unique!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the elaborate one--why not?? Go all out and I will send some big 'ol bows to celebrate the day. I can't believe that poodle cake!!! Talent--utter talent!

    xo,

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  18. I vote for 1 and 4. There is something about dolls being entrapped in icing and cake dough that leaves me a little rattled.

    I, too, was wondering if you were going to make this yourself. I'm glad to hear you have a good cake baker.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am liking the ones that include the Barbie. Maybe because I know my 4 yr. old would love it.
    I also like the tiered cake, hey if you're not making it- why not!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm already planning the boys' birthday party too,lol, and theirs isn't until August!!! I love ALL the cakes, good luck choosing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I liked the first cake best!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like the 5th cake, too cute! I think your little girl will love whatever you decide.

    I love your BLOG! I stumbled upon it today and have it book marked it. I love the lay out...you are teaching me because I am new to all this. Anyways, it looks great, you have a lovely family...good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE the 5th one!!

    ReplyDelete