Friday, January 16, 2009

Vapor Rub - The New Perfume?

**Update**Please pray for Kelly, Scott, and Baby Harper. It seems that Harper has pneumonia and has been rushed to Children's Hospital in Little Rock. Please keep this sweet family in your thoughts and prayers. - Jeremiah 29:11

Alise's silliness just keeps going....

I have been on the internet all day today, either on my blackberry or laptop to catch updates on Miss Harper's birth on Kelly's blog. I have been following her blog even before her announcement this summer that she was pregnant, so I thought it was only appropriate that I hum in on the big day!

Tonight while I was on my laptop catching up on all my blogs, I didn't notice that Alise was playing with her ear medicine, the cotton balls, and a small jar of Vicks Vapor Rub that was laying on one of the end tables by the couch (our "doctoring spot" for the week). She walked past me and all of a sudden, I got the biggest waft of vapor rub. Let's just say it nearly knocked me down! I asked her what she had done and she said, "Nufin', Mommie!" I put the laptop down and followed her to her room and the smell nearly knocked me down again! She REEKED of Vicks!! Oh, no!! And it was time for us to walk out the door to a fun night of "Kidz Blitz" at church - finally something that she was old enough to do! Ugh!!

I rushed her into the bathroom and got a warm washcloth to get it off her neck and chest (pulse points...ha!). She had it all over the place! I thought, no one is going to want to sit next to us tonight because we smell so bad (Leigh, that's why we stayed where we were when you asked if we wanted to come sit with you and Jonah)!!! I even let her put on some of my Philosophy lotion (a big no-no for her) on to try and disguise the smell. It didn't work.

What did I do? I took my REEKING daughter to church! She didn't care and although the smell was bringing on a major migraine for me, I decided not to worry about it. She would just have to stink.

Can you believe I did that?!

Luckily for us, we were on a pew by ourselves, but I just know the people who were sitting in front and behind us were wondering who in the world had bathed in vapor rub! I started to say something. Ya know...like, "If you smell Vicks Vapor Rub, it's my daughter. She thinks it's a great perfume. What do you think?"

Before the program started, I said, "Alise, honey, you stink."

She said, "I don't stank, Mommie!"

"Oh, yes, you do, Sista!"

All of a sudden these big crocodile tears welled up in her eyes and I felt like dirt.

I had to lie and tell her that she really didn't.

I had my legs crossed.

Laura.Sign

7 comments:

  1. that is hysterical

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered why you didn't want to sit with us. That explains it!

    Alise was too cute tonight dancing to the music!

    Don't forget to be nice to me......

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I needed a good laugh this morning and I knew I could get one here. Your stories about Alise are often so funny! She sounds like she would fit right in with my boys! I love it!

    On another note, just know that all of us in COLD Florida are and have been lifting up Kelly and Scotts baby Harper up in prayers. We've been praying without ceasing and are claiming perfect supernatural healing upon her body in Jesus name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about Baby Harper. I will say an extra prayer..

    And Miss Alise, she cracks me up, and your writing cracks me up too! She would fit right in with Mr. Evan,lol!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that just made me laugh so hard! We have the same problem with make-up around here. I wonder which is worse... smelling like a crazy person or looking like one???

    I am SO adding you to my friends list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least people close by would have clear sinuses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there done that! AJ got into the Vicks when he was supposed to be napping one day. He put it all over his clothes and his stuffed horse. Needless to say it got all over the sheets on his bed too. Very difficult to wash out! On a side note-I heard that putting Vicks on the bottom of the feet helps tremendously-we have tried it with AJ and are amazed at how well it works!

    ReplyDelete