Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Had My Cake and Ate It, Too!

videoWhen I woke Alise up this morning, I told her that it was my birthday. Her eyes shot open and she said, “Mommie, I wanna help you blow out your candles on your birthday cake!” It made me smile. Then she sang, “Happy Birthday” to me and I cried. I had to explain to her that unless the Good Lord intervened and Wayne got me a birthday cake despite my previous pleadings of telling him NOT to get me one (remember the diet?), Mommie wouldn’t have any candles to blow out. I couldn’t tell if she was disappointed because I wasn’t having a cake or because there wouldn’t be any candles to blow out?

So…the longer our morning routine rolled on, the more I got to thinking about the fact that I wouldn’t be eating cake later tonight with my family. Was my diet so important that I couldn’t enjoy a freakin’ piece of birthday cake on my special day?

So…after I dropped Alise off at school, I went to a local grocery store and bought myself a piece – yes, just a piece – of chocolate on chocolate birthday cake for $2.50. For Alise’s sake, I also bought some pink candles. My Baby needed some candles to blow out.

Now, I’m happy.

Prior to all this, Wayne thought he would be extremely cute and came in the bathroom this morning holding the red flicker lighter as a candle. I wasn’t in a very good mood this morning at 5:50 because a) I didn’t sleep well last night and because I stayed up until 11:30 trying to get Alise’s ballet video uploaded to my blog, b) Wayne cut off the heat when he came in the bathroom so it wouldn’t blow out the flame and I was freezing, and c) he used all the hot water – or so I assumed at the time. Anyway, I guess I should be grateful that he remembered, but he’s never been one to forget birthdays and anniversaries.

When I got to work, most of my employees wanted to know if they could watch the inauguration. I had employees who brought their own laptops and TVs! Can you believe that? I even had one employee tell me that we couldn’t leave to go to my birthday lunch until AFTER O’Bama was sworn in! I was like, “Gee! First I have to share MY birthday with the man and now I have to wait until after he is sworn in to eat lunch?” I had planned to just catch the highlights – as well as Michelle O’Bama’s ball gowns – later tonight on Fox News. After all, I had been out of the office all day yesterday and I had a lot to catch up on. But the employee with the TV called me in her office and I ended up watching history in the making. I cried again. Every American should pray daily for this new President. He has a very tough road ahead of him.

By 11:45 (central time), O’Bama had been sworn in, and my strawberry yogurt had worn off. “That’s it!” I said. “Let’s go. It’s time to eat!” We had lunch at Olive Garden. I never get to eat there because Wayne swears he got sick off the food once and refuses to go back. I had the cappelini p-something off the lunch menu and it was so good. I could only eat half though. The thought of $2.50 chocolate cake and the question of whether or not I wanted to exercise on my birthday kept playing in the back of my mind. But by 2:30, I was totally miserable because we had eaten chocolate cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese icing from Curl’s Cupcakes.

And at 3:30, these arrived. They were gorgeous and smelled so wonderful!
I took Alise to gymnastics and then we went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant to celebrate my actual birthday as a family. When we got home, Wayne had Alise go to the refrigerator and pull out an actual birthday cake! I couldn't believe it! Wayne actually got me one! So much for the diet this week. I think I'll start over again next week.
P.S. I am quite behind on my blog reading. If you haven't heard from me in a while, please know that I am not ignoring you, I just haven't had time to catch up. I hope to do that this week. Thank you for all your Happy Birthday wishes! They made my day!

Laura.Sign

21 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Glad you enjoyed yourself. And haven't you heard? Calories don't count on holidays or birthdays-at least that's my rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWW... You have such a sweet family!!! So glad to hear you had a good day! Have a great birthday night ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayno did good!!

    I'm thinking your face is looking thinner!! You're doing so good!! And I agree with Lori, calories don't count on important days!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!! What a cute story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy (a little late)Birthday. Glad to hear your day went well and hope you enjoyed that cake. Diet, smiet! It's your birthday and you deserve it.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. ohhh and JEALOUS about those roses. They are tooo pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like your bad day ended up being very rewarding. I don't think one day of cheating on your diet will hurt you. According to your picture, you're looking good sista.

    I'm glad you had a good day!

    Take care and We Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I missed it! Happy Belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful day. I don't think alittle bday cake ever hurt anyone. :) :) :) You have such a sweet family and coworkers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!! hope you had a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday!!!!! I loved all the pictures. You have such a fun blog to follow.

    I agree with praying for this president. He did not receive my vote in the November election, but our new president has my support as he attempts to move our country forward (although I admit to being extremely frightened by some of his ideas in store). (((((USA))))))

    Have a great week!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a bad blogging friend - I meant to email you yesterday to send birthday wishes, but alas, I forgot. Hope you get everthing you wished for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!!! You look beeee-u-tee-full in those pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura! It sounds like you had a wonderful day, you deserve your birthday cake! You look fabulous!!! I agree, Wayne is such a sweet husband and you have such a sweet daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun birthday. I love that you bought yourself a piece of cake. A girl after my own heart. I'm with you about this diet thing. I had lost 20 in the spring, but have gained 5 over the holidays. I really need to get busy. BUT on my birthday which is coming up in a couple of weeks.

    Wayne is the man of the hour, no doubt!!

    ~Hippo Hugs and Happy Birthday~

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. I meant to say NOT on my birthday.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday! You definitely deserve to have your cake and eat it too on your special day. I have been trying to avoid sugar this year, but I fell off the wagon with Mary Ashley's birthday last week and have been having trouble getting away from it ever since. So I feel your pain, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so so so sorry I did not get over here yesterday to wish you a Happy Birthday!! Happy Belated Birthday!!!

    I love the pictures of you and Alise at the restaurant!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So it looks like I'm a day late one this BUT...

    Happy Birthday!!!!! Sounds like you had a nice one!

    Cute pic of you and baby girl.... LOVE the pink! Kuddos to your hubby for sending you those beautiful roses!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You should ALWAYS have a cake on your birthday!!! Diet or no diet!!!!

    (Love the flowers too!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:07 PM

    Olive Garden is terrible the have cumcumber worms in there salad, that what made me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday! The roses and the cake are so sweet...I love the last picture of you and Alise!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad that you had a great birthday and was able to enjoy some cake! I am planning on cheating a little myself in honor of my birthday...after all it is a special day to me, so why not celebrate it!

    ReplyDelete