Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Calling All Cooks

I can’t remember if I mentioned it before, but I am SO in to baking this Christmas. It’s the main reason I decided not to decorate in my kitchen this year because I didn’t want the gingerbread man tree and all the other Christmas things getting in my way. I need plenty of work space…and a professional dishwasher, too (I have a dishwasher, but I mostly need someone to clean up behind me).

I am looking for some different things to bake this Christmas. Do you have any ideas? What are your favorite Christmas treats? I haven’t had a chance to sit down and surf the internet for new ideas.

When I was growing up, my mom and all her sisters would make a bunch of candy every year for Christmas because at my Grandmother’s house, we would just have finger foods and snacks on Christmas night (everyone would still be so full from eating at lunch). My mom’s “specialty” was Martha Washington balls and I always had to help her dip those suckers in chocolate. Because of that, I’m not a fan of dipping anything and I don’t like MW balls to this day.

I’m not interested in making divinity. Someone told me once that if the day’s temperature wasn’t right, that your divinity would flop. I’m not sure if that’s true or not, but here in Louisiana, the weather changes every day and so that wouldn’t be very advantageous for me (Like today, it’s 70 degrees and tomorrow it’s suppose to be back in the 40’s!).

I have decided that I am going to make fudge this year (recipe is on the back of the marshmallow cream jar) and these babies. Yes, I know. They involve dipping, but I’ll do anything for a bite of red velvet cake and Leigh says that they are to die for!! Alise and I will make our traditional Christmas cookies and hopefully get around to making our “Happy Birthday Jesus” cake for her to decorate, also. That is, if she doesn’t start trying to make herself throw up while throwing a temper tantrum in the middle of the grocery store again. Oh, yes! My daughter. The Drama Queen! Oh! And after seeing how much fun Audrey’s boys had decorating their gingerbread house, I decided to buy one for Alise. I’m secretly hoping her Daddy will take on this project with her. Hint, hint, Wayne.

Another question I wanted to throw out to everyone....I know alot of families do not have - what I call - the traditional Christmas dinner...ham, dressing, vegetables, that kind of thing. For instance, my old boss' family had gumbo or jambalya for their Christmas meal. Maybe this is just a Louisiana thing. But if your family does something totally different for Christmas lunch or dinner, leave me a comment. I'm really curious how many really do a non-traditional meal. I think it would be a great new tradition...in a non-traditional way!

Happy Baking!

Laura.Sign

13 comments:

  1. On Christmas Eve we do French Onion Soup and Christmas Day we have yorshire pudding, green beans and roast beef - pretty traditonal.

    I am thining about making these pretzel hugs:
    http://homeisright.blogspot.com/2008/11/pretzel-hugs.html

    and rudolph cookies:
    http://easyathome.blogspot.com/2008/12/in-five-minutes-rudolph-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning on getting up early on the 23rd to make candy/cookies to take back to Missouri with us (we leave that afternoon). I know I'm doing fudge. That's as far as I've gotten!

    We do the traditional ham or turkey meal at Christmas for my family. Of my husband's three family gatherings last year, one was turkey, one was Italian Beef sandwiches (they were gross), and the last was tacos! I was sad about the lack of mashed potatoes, but it was all very yummy. :)

    Christmas Eve at my parents' house is usually something like pizza -- something quick and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't call this baking but every year the boys insist that I ahve to make my frozen pistachio cookies.

    Buy a box or 2 of chocolate wafer cookies (Chocolate craham crackers work just as well.)

    1 box of pistachio pudding mix

    1 tub of cool whip

    1 stick of cream cheese softened (optional it just makes it a little richer)

    Mix pudding mix, coolwhip and cream cheese together. Spoon between to chocolate wafers place on tray and freeze.

    The boys love these and I have to admit they are super yummy.

    Other than these I make the regular stuff. Fudge, peanut butter balls things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We eat Shrimp and Grits on Christmas Eve and po-boys on Christmas day. We make the po-boys from a store bought turkey and ham so that if someone wants to get traditional they can. We also haul out from the freezer the leftover gumbo hubby just made and eat that! We leave Santa some gumbo too, with his cookies. I'll do a post later on all the yummies we bake when my Mom comes up from Baton Rouge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would it be rude to invite myself over to eat? That all sounds so yummy!

    I love Red Velvet cake and made it from scratch...one time. Maybe it was just the recipe that I used, but it was not an easy process...delicious, but not an easy cake to make.

    We always have peanut butter fudge, as well as peanut butter cream pie...as well as pumpkin, pecan, and cherry pies. My Aunt Glynda also makes Cheese Straws and Buckeyes.

    Christmas dinner is usually turkey, ham, and sometimes roast beef. New Years dinner is usually a pork roast cooked in sauerkraut and apples served with mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, those red velvet cake balls look delicious!!! I might just have to make those this year! We usually make Christmas Sugar Cookies, Fudge, and last year made these no bake Oreo Truffles, they are so rich and decadent tasting!
    Here's the linky:
    http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/easy-oreo-truffles-95085.aspx

    Also I've heard these are pretty awesome, but haven't made them yet, maybe this year!

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Saltine-Toffee-Cookies/Detail.aspx

    As for our meal traditions, we usually do prime rib either on Christmas Eve or Christmas. For the past couple of years though, when we haven't had family in the area visiting, we've just gone to Chinese Food on Christmas night, just like on that movie, A Christmas Story! It's pretty fun and different! Though not sure what we are doing this year...
    Ooh, now you've got me started on thinking what to bake this weekend,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    Our Christmas baking is mostly done. I am making one more batch this afternoon and then my "Cathedral Windows". That's chocolate chips, margarine, nuts and a package of colored marshmallows rolled in a log and then sliced. I call them cookies, Jim calls it candy. Whatever, I love it.

    As for dinner, my mom always cooked a beef roast and a pork roast together and made the best gravy in the whole wide world. It looks like just Jim and me for Christmas dinner and I'm torn between a standing rib and mom's old tradition. We'll just have to see.

    Have fun with your cookie baking.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, the margarine and chocolate chips are melted, the nuts and marshmallows after a little cooling. Sprinkle the log with confec. sugar.

    Once again, YUM.

    ~hh~

    ReplyDelete
  9. For your baking pleasure-these are so wonderful--what I mentioned a few posts back about Magic Cookie Bars:

    http://www.eaglebrand.com/detail.asp?rid=650

    We were pretty traditional with our foods growing up, but out here lots of people put southwestern or spicy spins on things. Lots of Mexican style dishes too. My turkey is always a mesquite smoked flavor and everyone always like it. I have also been to friends houses who do all seafood for Christmas Eve. I love going to Christmas Bruch and having all of those brekfast - type dishes!! Yum, I am getting hungry just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sisters and I normally get together every year and make candy as well. However, this year is not going to happen because one of my sisters has to work. Whaaa. I'll really miss it. I'm going to send you an e-mail for links to Christmas treats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always make the White Christmas Chex mix...rice chex coated in chocolate, peanut butter and powered sugar.

    Also referred to as "crack." Because you'll be addicted once you start eating it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will let you know how our ginger bread men turn out tomorrow.

    Not sure what the Christmas meal will be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We do an appetizer buffet and pig out on Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas Day, we do brunch. Yum!

    ReplyDelete