Sunday, November 02, 2008

Alabama - No. 1 in the Nation

Who would have ever thought that Alabama would be No. 1 in the nation in college football? Certainly not me. When the 2008 season started, the best I was hoping for was a no return to the Independence Bowl. We've been there two years straight. But last night, after the Texas Tech fan base ran out on the field for the third and final time, the thought finally hit me, "OMG!! Alabama could possibly be number one!!" That thought became reality today when I found out that yes, indeed, Alabama is ranked number one in the college BCS poll. Congratulations to the Alabama Crimson Tide!! Roll Tide, Baby!

But even after all that hoopla, there is still a monsterous black cloud that hangs over our heads. And in that cloud are the three letters, "LSU." We will be facing the Tigers this weekend in Baton Rouge. Yes, Nick Saban will be returning to Louisiana.

I've been very careful - more so than my husband - to brag about how well Bama is doing this year. I know from experience that our tower could come crashing down at any moment. Nothing would tickle me more than to beat LSU on their own home turf. However, honestly, I don't see it happening, but I do think that it will be a very good game. Nor do I see us beating Florida if we make it into the SEC Championship game. My team may surprise me, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. I would like to be surprised and then be able to say that I knew they could do it all along.

I will say this: Get ready LSU! We're coming to get you!


Today was High Attendance Day at our church so Alise's best friend, Emma, went with us. After church, she came back to our house for a few hours to play. I had originally thought about taking them to McDonald's for lunch, but I changed my mind and asked Alise if she thought they might like to have a picnic instead. They were so excited about that. Let's just say that they managed to get into alot of stuff today! Alise's room was a wreck when it was time to take Emma home, but Wayne and I insisted that they get everything picked up inside AND outside! Regardless, they had a blast!!

After Alise and I took Emma home, I had to run to Walmart. I had been dreading the trip all day. I just absolutely hate Walmart. But Alise needed a pillow case for something at school and I needed to pick up a few things for her lunch this week, so I managed to put my Big Girl panties on and deal with it! Can you believe Walmart already had Christmas decorations up? I'm talking about those signs that they normally have hanging down through out the store. As soon as we walked through the door, Alise noticed the Christmas tree. I saw the Christmasy gift cards and containers as well as the Christmas candy on one aisle. It stressed me out. I couldn't believe it. I bet you they put all that junk out at 12:01 on November 1st. What do you think?

I shouldn't complain. I bought some holiday decorations at a local home furnishings store yesterday and left out of there rip-roaring-ready to take down all my fall stuff and start putting up the Christmas decorations. I contemplated when I would put up the tree. Would I be really brave this year and even put it up BEFORE Thanksgiving? What do you think? When do you normally start decorating for Christmas?

By blogging friend, Becky, had a wonderful idea about high-lighting the things she's thankful for each day during the month of November. I plan to join her in this and I encourage you to do it, too. What a great way to start the holiday season - regardless of when you do decide to put up your tree.

Today, I'm thankful for my daughter's friends.

5 comments:

  1. well Rolllllll Tide! Ugh, I am not into Christmas in a big way at all. I tell you I peek at Halloween and then not again until Easter--remind me to tell you about the Easter Party I thru for play group one year! This year I will be a sad lonely mess for Christmas--Sofia is going to TX with Dad and his parents. yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Bama! I'll cross my fingers for you! Yes, I was at Target on Halloween and saw them cramming all the Halloween stuff into a couple of Aisles and they were halfway with putting up their Christmas display. I think it's crazy, but I love Christmas and the Holiday season, so I'm really not complaining! I love the picture of Alise with her friend!! Glad they had fun playing together! And I love the idea about posting everything I am thankful for every day of November! I'm going to borrow that idea as well! Oh, by the way, you won my blog redo contest! So start thinking about what you would like for me to design for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a good weekend, besides Wal-Mart of course;) What is it with that place anyway?!?

    I will be posting things I am thinkful for everyday as well. What a wonderful idea:) Thanks for sharing!

    P.S..... We love Christmas around here, so the tree will be up before Thanksgiving. Just think of it this way, you can enjoy the decorations longer if you put them up early... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAY TO GO!!! I'm excited for you guys! I thought of you after that Texas Tech game. I'll pull for you guys next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...NUMBER 1! We missed Nick Saban after he left MSU but are finally getting back on track!
    Alise is adorable in her mermaid costume!

    ReplyDelete