Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pumpkin Decorating 101

Okay. So I wasn’t a very good planner this time.

I’m not usually a procrastinator, either, but I found myself in Hobby Lobby yesterday on my lunch hour, pilfering through what use to be two complete rows of Halloween paraphernalia that had somehow been condensed into a half a row of one side of the aisle and about five buckets. Christmas decorations had already seized their spot on the opposite side.

Girlfriends, Halloween is still two and a half weeks away! Not at Hobby Lobby it isn’t. Halloween is over and done with. In Hobby Lobby’s eyes, we’re a week away from Thanksgiving!

So, yes, I was on the floor of HL in my nice suit digging through the buckets trying to come up with some way Baby Girl and her daddy could decorate her pumpkin that was due today. I had it all planned out in my head, but of course when I got to HL and saw the shape of their Halloween stock, I totally ruled that idea out. By this time, I was praying for a decorating kit. You know. The kind that has everything you need right there in the box.

A-ha! Found it! It was a cat and the only design kit that I could find. It was a peel-and-stick! Even better!

I hurriedly snatched it up before the woman behind me ran over me with her buggy and went to the check out line. Where I waited…and waited…and waited. I changed lines twice and ended up getting the check-out clerk whose first day was that very day! The lady in front of me had a return! I know I waited in line twenty minutes!

So much for lunch. I scarfed down a McDonald’s hamburger at my desk.

Alise had the best time decorating her pumpkin with her Daddy! I am so glad that I let go of my “little control issue” and allowed Wayne the chance to get to do something with her by himself. She is so in to “projects” these days. Just about every Saturday, she asks me if I have a “project” for her to do…paint, glue, cut, whatever. So, luckily decorating the pumpkin was right up her alley!




I walked Alise to her classroom this morning because we had “Emma Lee”, the pumpkin -cat with us. I carried Emma Lee and scolded myself for not telling Wayne to get a “lighter” pumpkin on Sunday. Emma was heavy!

The “real” Emma and her mom were behind us bringing her pumpkin to class. So were everybody else’s moms. The classroom was turned upside down! Kids running all over the place showing everyone their pumpkins, kids dropping pumpkins, Dora the Explorer screaming in the background….UGH! I was ready to escape! Alise and Emma wouldn’t cooperate for a picture, so I just gave up. The aide, said that they would take pictures of them with their pumpkins and send them home. “Good luck with that,” I thought!

Our next BIG to-do this week is Grandparent’s Day at Alise’s school on Friday. She is so excited about her Nana coming to her school! We’ve been counting down the days. At first, Wayne and I were going, too, but we’ve decided to go ahead and strike out for Tuscaloosa earlier than we had originally planned. The Galleria is calling my name. Besides, my mom is checking her out of school and taking her to the park and to the pumpkin patch for the afternoon. So they’ll have a good time together.

Have a great FALL weekend!! ROLL TIDE!!

Laura.Sign

10 comments:

  1. So cute! Nice to meet you. Believe it or not I didn't even start the Twilight series until just a month and a half ago I thought, well I just better do it. But was very hesitant. I didn't think I would like reading about vampires. Not my thing really, but oh how that has changed and I'm now half way through the 3rd book. I look forward to reading your blog in the future. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!! The pumpkin and Alise:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Alise's pumpkin. I applaud Wayne and Alise on a fantastic job.

    Y'all drive careful coming over here. Think about me when your shopping in one of my favorite places (Galleria). Boo Hoo!

    Roll Tide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pumpkin look GREAT!!!! And the pics are great!

    Can you believe it...we won't be at the Ole Miss game? I gave up my tickets, because we have a ton of family stuff this weekend that I can't get out of. I'm jut hoping I can get myself in front of a tv at kickoff. (I'll DVR it, of course, just in case!) Have fun in T-town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pumpkin craft is adorable! I feel your pain when it comes to the retail world....it seems before you even get ready for summer and all the fun summer clothes their putting them on sale in June and putting school supplies out by July 4th! Have fun on your trip to the Galleria and some alone time with hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to carve a pumpkin! I actually like to scoop out the guts with my hands. Gross, I know, but it always brings up such fond childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura!! Oh I've missed your blog!! Alise's pumpkin is so adorable!! You did a great job letting Wayne and Alise have a project together. And you have a Hobby Lobby?!? I'm SO jealous!!! We had one near us before we moved to Virginia and I LOVED it. Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the EXACT same experience at HL this week. I swear we live parallel lives. Ha! I went for a Fall wreath...None to be found. Everything was gone/picked over. I found a picture frame and waited at the check-out counter b/c the lady in front of me had six returns. CRAZY!

    How in the world have I missed these FANTASTIC pictures you had taken???? That family picture by the water is amazing! LOVE IT! I also love you and A in your new profile pic. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pumpkin turned out so cute! I think it's awesome that Alise & her daddy got to do the project together!!

    ReplyDelete