Thursday, October 02, 2008

Once Bitten Twice Shy

Yes, Alise got bit at school on Tuesday by one of her best friends for no apparent reason. I was not happy about the situation for several reasons. Ms. K finally called me back Wednesday morning and said that the girls were swinging on their stomachs at recess and one little friend just came up behind Alise, got on top of her and bit her on the shoulder. There are still marks on her back. I was so aggravated that I didn’t take a picture of it. Alise has gone on her merry way and forgotten about it. I am proud of her and I hope she can always be quick to forgive and forget. I think through this whole event, the thing that I learned the most was that there are parents that don’t discipline their children like we discipline Alise. I mean, I’ve heard that, and I guess deep down I knew that, but this was the first time that it was blatant in our world. Alise isn’t perfect and we’re not perfect parents, but we don’t stand for certain things and even though it seems like we are constantly discipling her for something, she knows and is learning that some things just aren’t tolerated. At all. Let’s just say that the last two days haven’t been any fun and leave it at that.

Alise is sick. She has a cold. She woke up yesterday morning with a yucky nose and the first word out of her mouth was, “Mommie, I need to go see Dr. Stanley.” I laughed. I’ve been giving her something over the counter, but that stuff just doesn’t work for her. She has been sneezing her head off, so last night I gave her some Benedryl thinking it might just be allergies and something for her to sleep better. At 1:00 this morning, she was wide awake! Wayne offered to let her sleep with me in our bed and he would take the couch. I couldn’t believe it. He must have thought he was dreaming. Anyway, I think she and I mostly dozed from 1:00 to 5:00 this morning. I went ahead and sent her to school and told Ms. K that she had a cold and didn’t sleep well. I asked about the medicine policy and if she’s still got a cold tomorrow, I’ll send the medicine to school.

My child is already learning about sex education and it’s a little too soon for me. We were on our way to school this morning and I thought Alise was half asleep when all of a sudden she said, “Hey, Mommie! Guess what?” She has never said “guess what” before.

“What?”

“We’re going to have a baby at school,” she said.

“Who is going to have a baby at school?”

“Ms. Kafrin. She has a baby in her tummy!” as if to say, “Can you believe that!”

{Cringe}

And then she started rattling off something that I couldn’t quite understand about seeing the baby. So I only assumed that Ms. K showed an ultrasound picture to the class.

She said, “Mommie, I want to see the baby.”

“Well, when Ms. K goes to the hospital and God gives her her brand new baby, I bet in a few weeks, she’ll bring it to school and let you and everyone see it. Won’t that be neat?”

“Oh, yes!” she said.

Ugh. That’s just not a direction I am ready to go in right now. All Alise knows about babies is that they come from God and you have to pray really, really hard for them. That’s all she needs to know right now.

A friend from work took some beautiful pictures of her granddaughters this past weekend on the bayou. They turned out so nice with the changing leaves and moss. She told me that Moon Lake had some beautiful spots for picture-taking, too. I mentioned it to Wayne last night about going Saturday afternoon when he got home from the camp (This weekend is the opening day of deer season for bow hunters). He told me that I was crazy because we would miss the Alabama game against Kentucky. I told him that’s what they made DVRs for (Can you believe I said that?! Recording the game?!). I would love to get a good Fall family picture. For some reason, I’m picturing us all wearing black shirts and jeans with barefeet. We’ll see.

And what about the Crimson Tide this weekend?! I am ecstatic about us being ranked #2! Go Bama!! I’ve gotten some awesome emails and pictures this week regarding the game against Georgia last weekend. There is even a t-shirt out now about the so-called “black out.” The only thing that bothers me about the game against Kentucky this weekend is that they are undefeated as well. Like I told Wayne, somebody has got to loose. I sure hope it isn’t us!! Roll Tide!!!

Oh, and one more thing. The pumpkin outfit that I bought Alise off Ebay FINALLY – and I do mean, FINALLY – came in. It was custom made. I can not WAIT for her to wear this outfit to her Fall parties and to the pumpkin patch!! She even has a free dress day at school later this month, so she is wearing it to school, too. It’s a two-piece orange and white gingham with the black cutouts of a jack-o-lantern on the front. It ties with ribbon at the shoulders…just too cute! Maybe I’ll convince her to try it on this weekend and I’ll take a picture.

Laura.Sign

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Alise's biting incident Laura! I'm happy to hear that she handled it well! And pictures on the Bayou?! That sounds AWESOME! I sure hope you get to go because I am dying to see how beautiful the pictures are! I LOVE fall! Alises' pumpkin outfit sounds so cute!! I'll look forward to seeing those pictures as well. I just LOVE this time of year! Take care & hope Alise feels better really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEK! Biting is so NASTY! People's mouths are filled with germs. I hope you called the kid's mom. I want to wash my hands just thinking about it!

    Anyway, I still exist! I've been so busy this last week that I've been missing from the blogging world. I'm all caught up now. Send me an e-mail sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biting thing is bad and can even happen with kids who are disciplined. Some kids don't know how to express themselves when they are frustrated or angry. I hope the child will stop biting, but I hate to say that a lot of times those kids just end up having to leave the school!

    You did good to answer Alise's questions like you did. Just answer what she asks as general as you can and until she starts asking more questions, you're giving her enough information. They really don't want to know more than that at her age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Alise! I remember Jake got bit several times at daycare and I kept wondering why they didn't do anything about it.

    Did you see the picture of you, Alise and baby on my blog??!!!!

    Do I need to get some orange crystals for a bracelet for the new outfit??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain when it comes to other people and thier unruly children. My oldest wast bit like that on the arm and I took a picture of it..... still have it and you can visibly see the teeth marks on top and bottom in the pic several days after the incident!

    You MUST take a pic of Alise wearing her new fall dress. Since I only have boys I would love to see something cute and frilly (sp).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cannot wait to see photos from the Bayou, as well as that Pumpkin outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My! Chloe bit me once...it hasn't happened again! Alise is a trooper!
    I hope she is feeling better soon. The yucky sstuff is going around our house too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, I hope the biting issue does not come back. SOfia is sick again--I just cleaned up vomit--I hate that word. Fever 101.5--just out of the blue this evening. I think maybe the amoxicillen (?) did not knock out her strep throat. Back to the Dr. tomorrow. Sorry about the blah-ness, hope to be back to normal soon, just lot of stuff going on here. Can't wait to see fall pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the travails of sending our kidlings off to school. I am so sorry. Biting is just not, not, not acceptable behavior.

    Hope things get better. I'll be looking forward to a fall picture, and especially a pic of Alise in her gingham dress.

    ~hippo hugs~
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry that she was bitten at school! Usually preschools handle that pretty sternly. But it is good that young children can forgive and forget and get back to the business of playing again.

    Your pumpkin outfit sounds so cute. I am such a pink girl that I have rarely put the girls in other colors, but I am really branching out now. And right now Emma's favorite color is orange, so I'm thinking she definitely needs a pumpkin outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just caught the end of the Alabama v. Kentucky game. Roll Tide!!!

    I'm not really a sports fan, but for you and Cheryl, I'll cheer!!!

    ~hippo hugs~
    Pam

    ReplyDelete