Sunday, September 14, 2008

V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N

Photobucket
Okay all you, "already-vacationed-tanned" people! The Horton's are headed to the beach in SIX days!! Woo-hoo!! I am SOOOOOOOOOO excited!! We leave next Sunday morning to meet our cousins in Orange Beach, Alabama. We've had this trip planned for a year! It's only for three nights, but it's still called a V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N!! The good news is that as of right now, there are no expected hurricanes. The bad news is that I have yet to buy the first tube of sun-tan lotion. Yikes!

This is the most "unorganized" trip for me. I'm a planner, so I have to map everything out...from the agenda and restaurants, to the clothes everyone will wear. I have done none of that for this trip. I told Wayne this morning that come Saturday night, I was just going to throw some things in a suitcase and we'd be ready. He looked at me like I had two heads! Now, I have bought things for Alise to wear - mostly beach dresses and swim suits - but I can't think of anything that I've bought specifically for myself or for my man for this great beach excursion. Oh, well. We will survive!

You should have seen me giving "the speech" to Alise this morning! I was getting her ready for church and I started taking the outfits out of her closet that I had been saving for the trip. I told her, "Listen here, Sister! You better get ready because you're going to wear some things that you don't want to wear next week and I'm going to take alot of pictures of you on the beach, so you better smile and act like you like it!" She said, "Okay, Mommie!" We'll see (If she gets in one of her moods and doesn't want to cooperate, it won't be a good one!).

Wayne and I can't decide when we need to head out next Sunday morning. He wants to leave at 4AM and I say 6AM. He thinks Alise will fall back asleep on the way. I laughed like HE had two heads!!! The total trip is about 358 miles, which averages about 6 hours.

Another thing we can't agree on is whether or not I can take my laptop. I say there is nothing to argue about. It's my laptop, I can take it. He said a vacation means no computer. I'll let you know who wins that argument! Be sure to check in next week for pictures!

I do want to throw a question out to anyone who has been to Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, or Dolphin Island in Alabama....what did you guys do and what are the best restaurants? After all, a V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N DOES mean "no cooking!"

Laura.Sign

8 comments:

  1. 1st - I too say -- no laptop! I know, you know I love my internet, but no laptop!!

    2nd--I can only help with a low-key restaurant and I don't remember the name but it is the shrimp place in the parking lot of the big sovenier (?) joint with the shark head entrance. I don't think I have ever had better shrimp!

    3rd--if you guys decide to cook some seafood or pick up some freshed steamed--go to Lartigues (don't forget ask for Shannon)

    4th - I say the earlier in the morning you can leave the better--dark to me means less whining in the car because it is calmer.

    5th - can't wait to see sunset beach pics (make sure you get yourself in there too!)

    6th - hit the outlets (yep, there is a Strasburg there)

    HAVE FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to have SO much fun!! I'm so jealous that you get to go to the beach!! We haven't been to the beach in SO long! We used to Vacation at Gulf Shores when we lived in Huntsville. I don't remember any of the names of the places we ate at though, but I remember staying in a really nice Condo,lol! Anyway, HAVE FUN & I know it's a vacation, but I'm one to take my laptop on my vacations so I can upload pictures & document the trip before I forget all of the "little moments", but that's just me! Also, not sure about your leaving time, but I'll go with 6AM too, because if Alise doesn't go back to sleep, which if it my Evan, he would NOT, it wouldn't be too miserable! And I can't wait to see all of your beach pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take the laptop!! Even if I don't use mine, it's an option for boring times when everyone else is napping or something. I hope you have a great trip! I love the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took my laptop on vacation. I didn't use it much, but I was able to upload photos. You are going to have so much fun! Have a great time and take LOTS of pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just tell Mr. Wayne that I'm taking my laptop to download all the pictures.

    It's Dauphin Island not Dolphin Island. Simple mistake.

    I'm sure Alise will cooperate once we get there and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, it takes us about 6 hours as well and we're probably leaving around 7 or 8 a.m. that gets us there around 2 or 3 p.m. because we will be stopping a lot. Plus, we can't get in our room until 3:00 p.m. anyway. Take your time and enjoy yourself. REMEMBER - you're on VACATION!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..... six days vacation trip to Alabama, it's great.

    ReplyDelete