Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Night the Lights Went out in Monroe

Update: Just when I thought Gustov was leaving, he decided to linger a while longer. Right now, as of 8PM, we are under a tornado and flash flood warnings! I think we're getting more rain than South Louisiana!! I am SO ready for the rain to be over! The wind gusts have died down. My parents still do not have electricity. They are being told now that it may be a couple of days. Their water did come back on this afternoon.

Continue to pray for our state. The evacuees are getting ansy and are ready to go home to access the damage. The mayor of New Orleans, as well as our governor, are asking people not to return just yet. There are state policemen located at various check points throughout the state and they are turning the evacuees away and not letting them back into the cities. Hopefully, it will be soon.

Well, it was bound to happen. And it did.

We lost electricity at 9:30 last night. I was so sleepy, so I went to bed rather early: 9:15. I was just dozing off when I heard it. Kinda like a "blip" on your TV just before it goes out. Well, there is was. The "blip" and then complete silence.

Wayne rolled over and said, "Do you know what just happened?"

"Yep!" I answered as I threw the covers back to get out of bed to go look for candles and my "magic lighter." Ugh!!

Alise woke up around midnight screaming and crying because there was no light in her room. I went and got her and brought her back to our bed where she slept between us. Even though the wind was howling outside, I fell back into a deep sleep.

Luckily, we were not without water. Wayne was able to get a shower early this morning via candlelight and head in to work.

Baby Girl and I slept until 7:00. The first thing she normally wants in the morning is a chocolate milk sippy but I refused to open our refrigerator. We still had no electricity. Try explaining THAT to a three year old! So we got dressed and headed to Mickey D's, which is about five miles from our house. The whole time I was praying that they would be open. They were and the drive-thru line was wrapped around, so we had to go inside...inside to about two inches of water on the floor of the restaurant. Yuck! I got the order to go and we headed back to my mom and dad's where Alise is staying today and tomorrow. My parents have no electricity or water.

I went back to our house to get ready for work in the dark. As I was walking out the door at about 9:15, our electricity came back on (Thank you, God!), but my parents are still without.

The weather is still nasty. There are dark gray rolling clouds - very "tornado-ey" looking. Even Alise noticed the dark clouds this morning. It is still raining, but we haven't had any of the flooding that down South has had. The wind is still a major concern and causing the majority of the power outages. Our ground was already saturated by August rains and so the roots are coming up out of the ground causing the trees to fall on power lines.

I got to work around 9:30 and have yet to be updated concerning patients and the circumstances inside the hospital. I know that we are currently not under lock down so that is a good sign.

Laura.Sign

9 comments:

  1. Thinking of you today. Stay safe and dry;)(p.s I hope the water and electricity problems improve!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you guys are okay!! And I hope the weather and water clear up soon for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still have power here! Hope yours stays on and your parents will come back on quickly! We had high winds during the night and have lots of limbs down in the yard. Still raining here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your still hanging in there! I was worried about you all in Louisiana! Hope you all faired the storm okay with little or no damage! Praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you! Hope that everything gets back to normal quickly!! I am so happy and grateful that Gustav did not cause the damage it could have!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your power came back on! They are estimating 2 - 4 weeks to get ours back on. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe people are complaining about the blankets!! I'm not sure they understand that people don't have to help at all and you should be grateful for whatever help you get!! Goodness!! I hope things are going ok there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit that it was a beautiful storm here for us. But I am a stormy kind of gal! Growing up in the panhandle does that do you! *wink*

    We never lost power...thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete